CA-NEU-Spring

State ID: CA
3 letter designator: NEU
Fire name: Spring
Location: Foresthill, off Powerline Rd. (39.01994,-120.86969)
(1/4 mi off Spring Garden - Per Brush 88, Spring Garden best access)

Reported acres: “Size of a Football Field”
Rate of spread: Slow- MROS (FWD progress stopped ~08:20 per Brush 88)
Report on Conditions: Contractor on site w/ water tank
Structure threat: Not at this time
Resources: Canceling balance (~08:21), Releasing Brush 88, Brush 90 to remain (~08:29)
Hazards: Power lines down (PG&E approaching area ~08:25)
Weather:
Radio channels:
Scanner link: Sacramento Valley Public Safety - North Live Audio Feed
Webcam link: ALERT Wildfire
Agency Website:
(Note - timestamps from local clock, may be several minutes off)

2 Likes

New smoke showing in same camera FOV, anyone with AlertWildfire that can zoom? ALERT Wildfire

Not seeing it.

Wait…

There it is.

1 Like

To the right of the centerline of the camera FOV, heading appears towards Moshiron, watch the 15min loop. It’s showing just below the ridgeline, does not appear to be dust.

I called it in to 911, but they were less than interested in the report since I was calling it in from the camera :confused: (In fact, they all but hung up on me without allowing me to even properly describe the location on the camera view and nature of the smoke!)

Judging by the color that was dust.

Looked awfully blue-grey and persisted in the same location since 07:34 and through 10:00 according to the 3hr loop.
Still showing at 10:33

It’s equipment working near Forest Hill drive. lots of homes right where it’s coming from.

2 Likes

Hmm, possible – it appears on the near side of the ridge closer to Pondorosa or Moshiron, which are much more sparse than Todd’s Valley. Perhaps Everybody’s Inn is doing a big BBQ too on the same LOS?
(Edit: Note, my home is off Spring Garden, but I’m down the hill currently and can’t put eyes on)

1 Like

You got the same treatment I got from Madera county when I called in a fire at a construction site close to millerton lake where I work. They had 3 fires there last year. Dispatch said it’s a burn day, I said some other things before they hung up.

Yeah, it seems rather counterproductive for them to essentially refuse a report because it’s called in based on a set of cameras in place specifically to help with early detection of fires using crowdsourced eyeballs :confused:
The 911 operator didn’t even know what I was talking about when I said “alert wildfire cameras”, so I requested a transfer to NEU, who basically told me they had other calls to handle and they had people who could access the cameras – the camera was never moved to center and zoom on the reported smoke, not that they gave me the opportunity to even describe the location in frame accurately. (Edit: But they wanted to know my current location, name, and number – that was apparently important to them facepalm)

5 Likes

*Mod Note: This thread is a perfect example of why we will often delete posts during an open incident. Every post beyond the opening post has nothing to do with the NEU Spring incident. That is not say that the information isn’t interesting or has no merit, it simply is not a part of the incident. Secondly, this thread is the Initial Incidents thread not the Q & D thread, so all of the dialog after the initial post, would be moved to the Q&D thread if there was one open. And finally, all this is why it s preferred, not require to open any new incident with a Q&D thread first and let the incident and corresponding intel develop prior to opening an IA thread.

I am going to lock this thread for now unless anyone has anything further on the Spring incident specifically

18 Likes