CA-NEU-Thousand ??? (Heavy Tanker IA Question)

So this fire is going and 102 and 107 were already airborne and loaded and took immediate action. I believe they are MD-80 type craft. They dropped before AA was even overhead. Just curious what the rules are on tankers like this, lead planes and IA structure defense, etc.

A lot of the Air Tankers like the S-2’s are initial attack qualified and can take action without AA. Some Tankers like LAT’s and VLAT’s are not and need AA or a Lead plane in order to drop. It really depends on the Air Craft type. I don’t know off hand if the MD 80’s are IA qualified. I’m sure someone here can give a little better answer.

While on the topic of the MD-80. Why do they make drops with gear down?

They drop with the gear down to stall up the plane is my understanding.

Just a guess, but I assume it is to slow down and create some drag. They can not slow down and maneuver like S2’s. Just like the 4 engine BAE Tankers have the rear flaps that open behind and under the Tail.

1 Like
2 Likes
1 Like

Being able to drop without a Lead or aerial supervision has more to do with pilot carding than it does with the aircraft itself.
I can’t find the table/chart with the breakdown of information.
Basically if a pilot is carded as being IA qualified, he can drop without aerial supervision (Air Attack or Lead plane) being on scene. If he is not qualified as an IA captain, then he can not drop without supervision of some sort. I think the VLAT requires supervision at all times, and may require a leadplane at all times, but I can’t find the chart (If memory serves me correct, when the DC-10 came on 10+ years ago, it had a dedicated lead plane).
Also there is a stipulation in there in regards to sunset and sunrise, 30 minutes either side of that, there is suppose to aerial supervision for aircraft to drop.

1 Like

Here is just the page that is referenced with the chart.

PMS 505 Interagency Aerial Supervision Guide.pdf (52.2 KB)

1 Like

Birken_Vogt, you mentioned a fire on NEU-Thousand, talking about air tankers. What do you know about the fire itself? Was this an old fire you had a question about or a new start?

The fire did not sound like it stood much of a chance since two loaded MD-80s were already airborne and overhead within minutes. It happened earlier today in Lincoln.