CA-PNF-Murphy ???

To do this I have highlighted the text I wanted to quote. Cut the whole text of the quote from the reply box in the IA thread.

Then make a new reply or in this case a new post in the Q&D section. Paste the quoted text at the top.

This way I can quote and link to statements in the IA thread that I want to discuss further but don’t belong in the IA thread.

2 Likes

Thank you both. This was getting out of hand on several incidents

1 Like

I can’t abide chit chat in an active thread… unless I’m involved; then it’s fine🤪

4 Likes

I don’t mind so much when the thread is not that active like Murphy, kind of helps keep it alive.

I don’t mind when it’s relevant information to the incident or area. Past fire history and past forest practices can be vital information to know. I was on the Chips Fire for 3 weeks, and every day at 2 the inversion would lift and it would get up and run. The fire also pretty much stopped when it got into Collins Timber holdings due to their management practices. Things like that are all very important, even if they don’t have anything to do with the current incident

3 Likes

I’d prefer not. The forum shows us when there is a new post. So “new posts” in q&d, that’s what I’ll expect. When I see a “5 new post” in IA, hoping for some intel, then see 5 posts of chit chat is a tad frustrating. I’ve been living with it ;). I have bigger problems in life, but since there is a thread about it… :man_shrugging:
edit I also realize “relevant to IA” is relative.
But there is a difference between trying to stay on topic and chatting about the hose lay you did there in the 90’s.

3 Likes

My hope is the site will achieve more critical mass and then the rules will be more strict but I feel like any traffic is good traffic at this point.

2 Likes

I hear ya! There can be just as much activity and as many post even if they are under the proper thread.

1 Like

Status check - anyone have current or final intel?

1 Like

Hello all,

Just quick note about chit-chat and other off-topic discussions. We really tried to keep this type of stuff out of the IA threads on the old site. This became harder and harder as we got more members posting and especially with large incidents. Plus what constitutes “relevant information” often ends up being a big muddy gray area. We would prefer to keep things the same, where most of the questions, discussion and chit-chat go into the Q&D threads and official intel is being posted in the main IA/Continuing Incident threads. That being said we are still getting our bearings as Mods on the new site and we also have a lot of new Mods. To a certain extent we are being a little more lenient on this stuff than in the past because we are just excited to see all the participation on the new site. That being said, we would appreciate your efforts in keeping the threads tidy and running smoothly.

M-S

8 Likes