CA-SHU-Highland

State ID: CA
3 letter designator: SHU
Fire name: Highland
Location: Highland Ridge Road off Trinity Mtn Road just west of French Gulch
Reported acres: 2-3
Rate of spread:MROS
Report on Conditions: Per C506, upper third slope west aspect, brush and moderate timber. Upslope winds. Spotting above the fire
Structure threat:
Resources: Addl crews and water tenders requested above standard dispatch

I think I heard it made a run up to the ridge. 50-75 acres. 2 Type 1 helicopters requested.

Edit: I may have misheard. 20 acres now heading toward the ridge, at which point it would be 50-75.

1 Like

Launching the two T1 tankers and the skycrane out of Redding. S2’s are already on their second round (that was a fast hotload). Total of 6 addl water tenders and 4 engines.

Scancal.org live scanner has air attack and SHU Local up.

2 Likes

40 42.996, -122 38.166 are the coordinates from RICC wildweb.

Fire made it to the ridge. Approx. 50 acres. Short range spotting on the west side of the fire

Some info on SHU twitter:
https://mobile.twitter.com/CALFIRESHU

The last acreage update was 50 acres and holding, but 5 hours into this and still flying 5 tankers. Anybody have an update on acreage and conditions?

2 Likes

I have not been listening, but nothing is coming across SHU Twitter, and I do not see additional SHF resources committed. I am not sure what the status is. Here is the latest in the local news:

Edit: Best info is 50 acres and 5% contained, as far as I can tell from fire.ca.gov

I have been listening. At switch-over the departing air attack did give a report to Redding but it was too garbled to understand. Have not heard a report from the ground… probably reported via cell phone.

Continuing the discussion from CA-SHU-Highland:

Still about 50 acres in heavy timber with limited access and mine shaft hazards. Not in a previous burn that I’m aware of. Still working on getting line and hose around it.

1 Like

Depending on how far North and West of French Gulch it is, it may be in the 2004 French Fire scar.
https://deercreek.maps.arcgis.com/apps/Embed/index.html?webmap=0f91dea65e8746a8b11e605fc962bcef&extent=-122.6,40.7536,-122.5,40.5&zoom=true&scale=true&legend=true&disable_scroll=true&theme=light

Can’t get enough zoom on my phone, however fairly sure it is outside 04 burn to the north.

From the image in Google maps it looks like Highland Ridge Road runs through the northern section of the '04 French Gulch Fire. But no information on where this fire is relative to the Highland Ridge Road.

60 acres, 10% contained per CalFire
http://m.fire.ca.gov/IncidentsCurrent.aspx

Per oncc news and notes:

CA-SHU Highland Fire: 60 acres, 10% >contained. Limited access and steep terrain. >60kV powerlines in the area.

1 Like

63 acres and 30% contained according to Cal Fire and ONCC News and Notes.

2 Likes

60% contained as of last night.

All resources off the fire at 7/23 1530, enroute to the SHU-Carr just southeast of this incident, for immediate structure protection in French Gulch

All additional units available. Units that just cleared en route the Carr Incident

1 Like