CA-SRF-Lightning Complex

8/20 Briefing Map:

5 Likes

XLC-1204A (SGB E52, MPK E61, ALH E71, ARC E106, LVN E761).
STEN LAC, STEN-T ARC & GLN
Dispatched 09/01/23 1459hrs

5 Likes

OES T3 “XOR” and OES T6 “ORC” enr this AM

3 Likes

Don’t know how much but got a good amount of rain over the Pearch today. Resources have been pulled off the line early

6 Likes

We’ve been getting a good wetting rain down here in Arcata. I can only hope enough is also landing on the fires. Glad to see the rain fall. Also glad I’m not working out in it.

6 Likes

Rest of Orleans spike doesn’t look any better and it’s still raining.

10 Likes

It looks like the blue 2 and copper are moving in panorama view.
https://ops.alertcalifornia.org/cam-console/2305

4 Likes

Yeesh, yeah.

4 Likes

https://ops.alertcalifornia.org/cam-console/2503

Looks like tomorrow might get busier…

4 Likes

Looks like the Blue 2 and Copper Fires are right on the edge of trace rainfall moving up from the SE. They’ve been the two most active fires in the complex past few days, Blue 2 grew something like 800 acres yesterday.

The active flank of Smith River Complex showing on Wild Frontier right now has been messy ever since the rains. The team had a big indirect box drawn when the fire was still actively moving in the end of August and it seems like they have had a hard time getting firing opportunities to wrap up that western edge of the Kelly Fire. I might be wrong on that, anyone with better intel feel free to correct me…

6 Likes
5 Likes

The SRF is going for it big-time ahead of the rains coming in. They ping-ponged ridges across thousands of acres yesterday to close the box on the Mosquito/Bluff/Blue2 complex.

This is something that I’ve heard scores of firefighters hold up as something they think we can do to get more good fire on the ground across the course of the past 2 decades, and some of the folks I am talking to on the SRF say putting good fire on the ground over the past 6 weeks on these fires has been the highlight of their entire career.

13 Likes

I did an interview this morning with Will Harling about how the last 6 weeks have unfolded on the SRF Complex, from a deeply local perspective. Will directs the Mid Klamath Watershed Council, and has been deeply involved in wildfire management, fuels reduction, and rx fire in this landscape over the past 30 years. Here is our interview:

8 Likes

Anyone know anymore about this scary incident ?

6 Likes

Not the first time it’s happened in Orleans.

4 Likes