CA-STF-September Lightning Complex 2023

They are going to the fire in Valley Springs

4 Likes

A little prospective of the lightning yesterday and last night. My buddy got this off the NWS out of Sac.

8 Likes

STF has another strike with 30x30 ground fire. Near the South Fork of the Stan. North of Mt Elizabeth. Best access is Keltz Mine Rd, Cedar Ridge area. AT-83 and 89 making drops on it. Keltz Fire. AA(Keltz) is making a few more drops on it keeping it in check until ground units get on seen. That area should be brush and timber. AA said it’s on the upper third of the slope. Retardant all around the fire and AA going to stay on scene for awhile longer. AT are released off the fire.

6 Likes

STF has been trying to make access since yesterday I believe. Some fires on the STF YNP boundary as well.

3 Likes

Copy, most of the county was in the dark yesterday with no power or cell until early this morning and this afternoon. That storm raised all kinds of havoc with the power grid.

1 Like

bar, Lewis and Kerns contained

2 Likes

Fantastic news @trishaswcfirewx Good stops by the crews!

4 Likes

Wow, that was the biggest lightning storm I’ve been in since 8/16/2020. I was up around 9000 feet working my way to Matterhorn Peak above Bridgeport. Friday was bluebird. Saturday started gloomy and got real wet quickly. I set up my tent and dozed. Summer thunderstorms usually pass fairly quickly but this went on for hours. In the evening my little AM radio was crackling like mad.

Headed home early Sunday, feeling a little sheepish as the weather was nice as I went down. But then… near the top of Sonora Pass around 4:30 PM, hail like I’ve never seen it before, water and rocks washing all over the road, crazy.

Kinda kicking myself for not seeing this storm coming but that’s the way weather goes sometimes. And glad to hear it didn’t spark too many fires.

4 Likes

it wasn’t on the weather predictions. I had checked earlier in the week and I was excited because low 80s and sunny all week.

2 Likes

Granite all lines heald controlled and patrolled
Reservoir contained

Fire watch 51 is doing recon

New Fires
Lyon
Sugar
Pass

Sugar
tree strike 20x20 ground minimal activity smoldering creeping in brush understory low potential
commit time 2 hours

Also there’s a 5 to 10 acre fire in or near the Bone rx burn area. Crew on the way to check it out.

2 Likes

9 new incidents so far this morning

I think Pass will be the 5 to 10 acre one near the Bone rx burn. It is near Jawbone Ridge.

3 Likes

Is this the effect of Tulare Lake coming back into existence . I have rumors of the lightning that regularly occurred when it previously had water!!

4 Likes

Yea I was on duty clear when I got to work then out of no where

2 Likes

I had lightning hit one year outside of my cabin and hit a tree. I had the USFS come out and see if the roots were hot. He told me then that what attracts lightning even more than water is granite rock, it is like a magnet. The cabin was on Peterson Mill Road and there are lots of granite outcroppings there. That cabin perished in the Creek Fire.

5 Likes

The NWS had mentioned a chance that moisture from hurricane jova could cause some convection 2 days out and increased their confidence friday night. The forecast discussions from the NWS have much more info than any other forecast

5 Likes

Stanislaus National Forest Responds to Weekend’s Extreme Lightning Event
More than 38 fire burning across the forest

SONORA, California, September 12, 2023 – Since an unexpectedly stormy Saturday night, firefighters with the Stanislaus National Forest have responded to more than 38 lightning-caused wildfires. Of those fires, only one - the Claim fire, is currently more than an acre. All fires are currently being patrolled and staffed with adequate resources with no threats to structures or people at this time.

Across the forest, 15 fires are burning on the Summit District, nine on the Groveland District, 12 on the Mi-Wok District and one on the Calaveras District. Smokejumpers were used on the Duckwall Fire and tanker drops were executed on the Bar Fire (in the area of Italian Bar) to give responders more time to make entry.

In addition to Stanislaus National Forest resources, fire fighters from Cal-Fire’s Tuolumne-Calaveras Unit and the Madera-Mariposa-Merced Unit also responded with two engines and two hand crew.

Any questions or concerns should be directed to Forest Public Affairs Officer, Benjamin Cossel: benjamin.cossel@usda.gov or 209.288.6261.

8 Likes

https://www.mymotherlode.com/news/local/3226789/over-38-lightning-fires-burning-in-forest.html

4 Likes

Patrol 34 called the Granite Fire out. No further patrols needed.

4 Likes

Crew 2 arrived at the Quarry fire with smoke showing. Will proceed to mop up and report on any growth.

4 Likes

Looks like quarry will be managed

3 Likes