CA-STF-September Lightning Complex 2023

it wasn’t on the weather predictions. I had checked earlier in the week and I was excited because low 80s and sunny all week.

2 Likes

Granite all lines heald controlled and patrolled
Reservoir contained

Fire watch 51 is doing recon

New Fires
Lyon
Sugar
Pass

Sugar
tree strike 20x20 ground minimal activity smoldering creeping in brush understory low potential
commit time 2 hours

Also there’s a 5 to 10 acre fire in or near the Bone rx burn area. Crew on the way to check it out.

2 Likes

9 new incidents so far this morning

I think Pass will be the 5 to 10 acre one near the Bone rx burn. It is near Jawbone Ridge.

3 Likes

Is this the effect of Tulare Lake coming back into existence . I have rumors of the lightning that regularly occurred when it previously had water!!

4 Likes

Yea I was on duty clear when I got to work then out of no where

2 Likes

I had lightning hit one year outside of my cabin and hit a tree. I had the USFS come out and see if the roots were hot. He told me then that what attracts lightning even more than water is granite rock, it is like a magnet. The cabin was on Peterson Mill Road and there are lots of granite outcroppings there. That cabin perished in the Creek Fire.

5 Likes

The NWS had mentioned a chance that moisture from hurricane jova could cause some convection 2 days out and increased their confidence friday night. The forecast discussions from the NWS have much more info than any other forecast

5 Likes

Stanislaus National Forest Responds to Weekend’s Extreme Lightning Event
More than 38 fire burning across the forest

SONORA, California, September 12, 2023 – Since an unexpectedly stormy Saturday night, firefighters with the Stanislaus National Forest have responded to more than 38 lightning-caused wildfires. Of those fires, only one - the Claim fire, is currently more than an acre. All fires are currently being patrolled and staffed with adequate resources with no threats to structures or people at this time.

Across the forest, 15 fires are burning on the Summit District, nine on the Groveland District, 12 on the Mi-Wok District and one on the Calaveras District. Smokejumpers were used on the Duckwall Fire and tanker drops were executed on the Bar Fire (in the area of Italian Bar) to give responders more time to make entry.

In addition to Stanislaus National Forest resources, fire fighters from Cal-Fire’s Tuolumne-Calaveras Unit and the Madera-Mariposa-Merced Unit also responded with two engines and two hand crew.

Any questions or concerns should be directed to Forest Public Affairs Officer, Benjamin Cossel: benjamin.cossel@usda.gov or 209.288.6261.

8 Likes

https://www.mymotherlode.com/news/local/3226789/over-38-lightning-fires-burning-in-forest.html

4 Likes

Patrol 34 called the Granite Fire out. No further patrols needed.

4 Likes

Crew 2 arrived at the Quarry fire with smoke showing. Will proceed to mop up and report on any growth.

4 Likes

Looks like quarry will be managed

3 Likes

Crew reported that the Quarry had grown by 1/3 an acre.

Crews are also staffing the River Fire.

UPDATE @20:50 Crews have pulled out from the Quarry Fire mapped at 4.8 total acres.
Heading to quarters.
Long day…

5 Likes

Multiple Lightning Caused Fires Being Managed as the Quarry Fire

Benjamin Cossel, Public Affairs Officer, Stanislaus National Forest
W: 209.288.6261 | C: 209.916.5919 | Benjamin.cossel@usda.gov

Inciweb Link: Castf 2023Stfquarry Fire Information | InciWeb

SONORA, California Sept 15, 2023 – Following a tumultuous series of weekend storms resulting in more than 38 ignitions on the Forest, fire personnel with the Stanislaus National Forest are currently managing the Quarry Fire to achieve multiple resource objectives. The Quarry Fire is located off Forest Road 3N01, east of Bourland Creek and approximately four miles east of the Emigrant Wilderness Border.
Of the other fires across the forest, three (Pilot, Hamilton, and Bar) are out, 14 fires are listed as contained, 15 in control status, eight in patrol status and two (Dome and Sheering) on the Summit/Mi-Wok district are currently staffed.
The lightning ignitions were originally detected on September 9, and district fire managers immediately began work to ensure these naturally ignited fires stayed within pre-determined boundaries. The Stanislaus National Forest’s Wildland Fire Module Crew 2 and four smoke jumpers are currently assigned to the fires.
“Our main objective is to manage the fire for resource benefit while keeping it away from sensitive historical and archeological sites and any other potential items at risk,” said Summit/Mi-Wok Fire Management Officer, Shaun Craig.
“Allowing natural fire to spread in areas where it can be safely and effectively managed helps restore natural fire return intervals, increasing forest resiliency and aiding in reducing catastrophic wildfire risk to our communities,” said Stanislaus National Forest Supervisor, Jason Kuiken.
Kuiken noted that every fire – prescribed or wildfire – has a containment strategy developed using a full spectrum of management actions that consider fire and fuel conditions, predicted short- and long-term weather conditions, values at risk, resource availability, land management plans and designations, smoke impacts, and the potential for successful consumption of fuel loads.
“Every management strategy identifies places suppression resources need to prioritize activities based on values at risk. However, containment strategies may include identification of natural barriers or locations where fire could be ecologically beneficial,” said Kuiken.
Smoke may be visible from Highway 108, Rim of the World Vista Point and the potential for temporary road closures may be in effect along Forest Service Road 3N01. Individuals traveling in the area are encouraged to use extreme caution and drive slower than normal as fire equipment moves in and out of the area.

7 Likes

Quarry is 9 acres now per wildcad

5 Likes

Update, Quarry Fire, September 19, 2023

The Quarry Fire is located on the Miwok Ranger District, Stanislaus National Forest, off Forest Road 3N01, east of Bourland Creek and approximately four miles west of the Emigrant Wilderness Border.

Today crews brought fire across the ridgetop near Forest Road 3N16 to allow it to slowly move down towards Forest Road 3N01.
Crews successfully burned 20 acres bringing the total acreage of the Quarry fire to 29 acres.

The optimal conditions today allowed burn out operations to consume accumulated fuels resulting in very little smoke impacts.

Allowing natural fire to spread where it is effectively managed will increase forest resiliency.

There may be residual smoke in the morning along the Highway 108 corridor.

5 Likes

https://ops.alertcalifornia.org/cam-console/2178

If we get any kind of N/NE wind this could get a little interesting.

6 Likes

here’s to hoping that doesn’t happen

4 Likes

They put a lot of fire on the ground.

4 Likes

A quick measurement on the camera fire on the ground is a good mile long. Just based on near IR signatures.

5 Likes