CA-TGU-Lightning??

Elk Creek fire and fire at rice bale facility west of willows

Load of Jumpers headed to Snow Mountain on MNF.

This will be the CA-MNF “Box Fire”

1 Like

7 posts were merged into an existing topic: CA-TGU-Elk??

http://www.alertwildfire.org/shastamodoc/index.html?camera=Axis-SaintJohn1&v=81e004f

This might be it?

MNF responding to new starts:

DOE- Doe Peak Area
HEIFER- Heifer Ridge Area

110, 90, 91, and C205 are in the elk creek area right now

Is there any new information on the status of the Doe Peak and Heifer Ridge starts???

A post was split to a new topic: CA-MNF-Box??

MNF working 10-15 fires/smokes. Unknown in size or conditions.
Resources are far and few up there. Not sure on how many cover engines are on forest beside the FWS engine on the east side.

1 Like

Thank You for the Doe Peak and Heifer Ridge info…Those two areas plus Tatham Ridge are right in my backyard…Lotta mastication done on Tatham Ridge, so that could be a small incident.

Additional TGU Lightning starts

4-unknown “just south of 162 at the forest boundary”

4-2 Fire just west of TGU-Elk
Other intel is saying this is the 4-1 fire. Battalion 4 LCA gave these coordinates for the 4-2. :man_shrugging:

Tac 27 and 28 more for my own notes for Bat4 LCA

A post was merged into an existing topic: CA-TGU-Elk??

Monday morning starts (I’ll try to update this particular post as these pop up this morning, and do updates later)

Horse Fire - Ponderosa Way, North Fork Antelope Creek near Upper Slab. C205 and modified light ground response. C205 will take a wide orbit over the front country to grab a few more smokes while enroute.

1-1 Fire - reported by Sierra Pacific Industries patrol, on the N line, taking the 430N to the 410N, east of the Boondocks. (update since the forums crashed and returned, fire has private logging dozer line around it, single tree lightning)

1-2 Fire - C205 poached this smoke here in Pine Creek canyon below Cohasset Ridge while enroute to Horse. “Extremely limited ground access, we have a good LZ on this thing and could probably take care of it in 15 minutes” Red Bluff approved. That 15min estimate didn’t account for the lovely 8.5mile out and back turn around to find water that a belly tank can slurp out of. :man_facepalming: So they’re committed a bit longer.

1100 Update:
Inskip Lookout shot a smoke roughly here between the E and C Line out of Manton.

1-2 Fire - C205 bit off way more than it could chew. They’re going to insert Tehama Crew 1 into the fire and pick up the Helitack crew to get back into the IA game.

1-? here
4-? here near Thunderhill Raceway
Very active cell just went through Battalion 4 and over the valley.

1230 Update:
4-8 South of the TGU-Elk fire, resources working their way deep into the back country off the intersection of Rd302 and Rd303. Very limited access at the moment while they try to work their way in with private ranch owners. Approx 30 acres, MROS grass oak woodland making small runs.

Battalion 1 keeps popping off single tree starts and such in the SPI timber land and area around Manton and Mineral/Mill Creek.

3 Likes

The TGU 4-8 fire is pushing 50-100 acres MROS grass oak woodland, holding on a creek on the south side so far. South of yesterday’s Elk fire, out between Stony Gorge Reservoir and Thunderhill Raceway. Getting some aircraft rolling, including T94 making an IA drop. AA made request for two addl T1 tankers. C205 committing to this.

1500 Update:
4-? Fire - Gravelly Ridge north of the old ATT Long Lines tower. Section 32 here. 1 acre SROS grass oak woodland.

LNF sending equipment into the Ishi Wilderness, I believe suppression was approved, missed the middle of the transmision. It was T27N R2E, either section 6 or 26. I thought 6 but that’s just outside wilderness. Everything east of Ponderosa Way there is State DPA till the 29N48 loop

1545 Update:
Battalion 3 LCA opening up at Red Bank Station. Haven’t heard any starts out there (was off comms for 10 minutes though), but plenty of cells have passed over.

3 Likes

1730 Aug 17 Update: Catching up on some radio comms and notes over the last few hours

4-11 Fire: Newville Road around Black Butte Lake. Getting a lot of resources off other fires to this one. T94 arriving solo for an IA drop. C205 might be on this one after his fuel cycle at Vina…

Bat 3 LCA: sounds like this was activated for stuff much higher than the valley floor. They are looking at Elkhorn Peak area - just outside the forest boundary and southeast of Tomhead. This was where CalFire made a huge stand on the 2019 SHF-South fire to keep it out of SRA.

Hearing plenty of talk about the new start in the Yolla Bolla from aircraft, TGU LCA, some MNF, and the SHF Southfork District. If I find something significant on the SHF I’ll start the SHF Lightning thread. 669J doing recon now in the area. Keeping it here otherwise…

0700 Thursday Aug 20 (can’t make 3 posts in a row, sigh)

CA IMT4 has assumed command of the BTU/TGU Lightning Complex as of 0700 this morning. Mods, if you complex us, can you keep Butte and Tehama as separate threads? Not sure if they’re Zoning the two counties, or we become additional Branches to Butte. We haven’t had the resources to Branch anything in TGU, just running off the three LCA’s setup.

Ivory Fire - behind and surrounding the west side of community of Elk Creek, was estimated 4000 acres last night. Lots of direct structure protection yesterday and into the night. Limited resources.

3-4 Fire - Elkhorn Ridge, just south of Tomhead Mtn. 7000+ acres last night. Worked its way down Wednesday morning into the valley along Pettyjohn Road and got two heads established to the northeast and southeast. Extremely remote, tucked in between last year’s SHF-South and TGU-Red Bank fires. Helibase established at Red Bluff Airport. Last year those two fires brought in CNG Chinooks for crew shuttle. It’s 1.5 hours drive time from Red Bluff to the closest flame, and about 3 hours to the heel of the fire.

Tehama Communications on CMD7, Air Tactics 164.1375, Rotor Vic 126.875, Air/Gound 159.270 (CDF Tac 15). All on scancal live scanner.

2200 Thursday:
(tired tonight so copy pasting from a community FB group I have been updating)
Not much to add for the 3-4, other than they’re applying the plans set in place earlier today. Dozer line along the south end they’ve been working on since daybreak sounds optimistic. A lot of sloppy fire on the west back side over the top of Elkhorn Ridge with some structure defense happening where they can. Other parts of the fire looking good. Not sure on that north end where things are. Expecting some decent westerly downslope winds tonight which is not in our favor on the north side. They pulled the trigger for Evac ORDER for R Ranch and Hwy36W around Vestal, and later, an Evac WARNING for community of Platina, due to the historical fire behavior the last few nights, and the lack of resources available to enter the community and protect fleeing citizens that are unaware. There is the SHF-Spring fire lightning start just north of Platina as well, behind Knob Peak off Deer Lick Springs area. They got tankers on that one this afternoon.

I believe CalFire put a big fight up for Salt Creek Camp all day as well, firing around the camp and holding the fort as the Doe Fire advances down the hill into the saddle where the camp sits. The Doe has also wrapped around to the west of Salt Creek Camp, and has reached Goat Hill and nearly the M4 along the eastern half of Log Springs Ridge. Thomes Creek canyon west of the gorge is all that separates it from the newer Gulch Fire coming down west of Paskenta. However there is another fire (of course there is) called the Glade Fire, that is due west, behind the Gulch Fire. That is along the Elk Ridge off the M2. Three Prong is smack between Glade and Gulch. This fire can influence the Doe and Gulch depending on wind and smoke column behavior, especially since they all now share any influence in the massive east-west aligned Thomes Creek drainage.

0900 Friday - Can someone help me? Please make a comment as I can’t post more than 3 comments in a row. Rescue me from this purgatory of verbosity! (thanks @ljpm2002a)

5 Likes

Thanks for the updates!

2 Likes

0800 Monday - Doe fire jumped the line in Div TT, just east of Salt Creek Camp and the saddle there. Plenty of land to catch it, and a road system ahead of it before it becomes too much of a problem, however they are throwing a lot at it. There are some smaller cells passing through the area.

3 Likes

Looks like plenty of heat still on the MNF . Saint John Cam looking north for last hour

http://www.alertwildfire.org/shastamodoc/index.html?camera=Axis-SaintJohn2&v=81e004f

3 Likes

Was wondering it was a burn op. If not, lots more work to be done

2 Likes

Quite possible for sure . If you go to the 6 hour loop it seems to jump up all of a sudden.

1 Like