CA-YNP-Pika??

Updated: 2023-07-17
Size: 818 Acres

Planned Actions
Trail closures went into effect the afternoon of 7/11.

Additional crews arrived 7/11 & 7/12. Hose lays completed. Active fire conditions.

Continue to monitor weather and fire behavior, including smoke impacts.

Resources are continuing to hold and patrol.
25 acres of ignitions planned for this evening, holding for RH recovery.
spots east of Indian Arch are being incorporated into containment lines.

Caynp Pika Fire Information | InciWeb

5 Likes

This is not an indication of whats to come at higher elevation. The fire primarily grew because it was aided by ignitions on the ground. Its a fire being managed to meet multiple objectives, not a wildand fire under full suppression. It’s a good fire the clean up the park. They do it well.

18 Likes

Yeah totally get it I’m up to speed with it. Just surprised it’s actually burning even with assistance. But in a sense it does give a slight indication of the fuels at that elevation are receptive to burning. I mean it threw spots out.

1 Like

agreed. totally just wrote this article

6 Likes
4 Likes

Inciweb says 825 acres and 20%

3 Likes

Coming back to this now I didn’t want to comment at the time. I had others from my crew assigned to this from the start to my understanding from them the fuels had pretty much freeze dried as for the first week this thing didn’t really wanna move and snow was on the ground in some spots. But they got 90s- 100 degree days according to them some days on the fire which aided with the hand firing increased activity heavily. Lot of dead and down in some parts as well and lots of mosquitoes lol…

5 Likes