CAL FIRE BUDGET CUTS

I won’t post the email on here. But how does everyone feel about it.

Its what was expected based on what CDCR, Engineers, SEIU settled for. Didn’t lose any paid holidays, the difference between 7.5% and 4.3% is an actual cut of 3.2% plus no raises July 2020, & July 2021. Considering the budget swing of $75+ billion, I’d say its a dog crap sandwich with mustard :thinking:

2 Likes

Yeah that’s what I thought. Smoke and Mirrors. Looks like a wash

I am sure plenty of people have comments about this topic. You can get into politics to much without fear of getting into trouble. I will tell you there are plenty of people that disagree agree or have something to say.

And even with your budget cuts I bet folks will still jump ship from the FS…

1 Like

I was one that did recently… very well worth it. The benefits and retirement alone are worth the switch. I have more quality time at home and the pay is significantly better even with the cuts.

3 Likes

The difference in pay is even less. The 7.5% cut is on base salary only, the 4.4% that we prepaid for retirement health was based on salary and overtime. The more overtime you work the less your pay cut is, If I work the same amount of overtime this year I will see an actual reduction of about $50 per month. But I am also getting 16 more hours of leave per month, which is well worth it.

As for the raises, we never had a july 2021 raise scheduled, that is the end of the contract, our July 2020 raise of 2.5% was just pushed back for a year, which sucks but its better than not getting it at all and when we start negotiations this year for our new contract we need all the good graces we can get.

4 Likes

This pay cut is also affecting the 5 contract counties for CAL FIRE. And that deeply effects Kern County, who is paid crap as it is now.

I was unaware that the pay cuts were affecting the graybook reimbursement rates paid to contract counties, of which there are 6 (orc, lac, vnc, sbc, krn, mrn). Hopefully they can keep their heads above water.

2 Likes