Cal Fire in line to get Coast Guard's C-130s

4 Likes

Numbers are a little off in regards to retardant delivery, also I believe the C-130s are coming from the Coast Guard already. Is this in addition to the 7 already allocated?

1 Like

May want to read “Air Tanker Use”, this section. Think this has been under way for the past year. Blanco also has a good video about the status.

4 Likes

The DOD has turned the entire process into a fiasco they are milking money from congress, Between the wing spar process and tanking, its been held up at every point by the DOD.

2 Likes

The Cal Fire C-139’s from this transaction sit parked at Lockheed Marrieta awaiting wing box modifications and update. Thy have sat here since last October. To date? No action yet. Typical fiasco.

3 Likes

Depot level wing work for the 130s is done at Hill AFB Utah, the original DiFi deal had the money for wing box replacement and full depot level service along with tank installation, Coulson won a contract to do the tanks at least 4 years ago. Iv heard scuttlebutt that the money seems to have vanished into the DOD shadows and the excuses from the federal side are long and changing.

5 Likes

https://www.sacbee.com/news/california/fires/article283038508.html

5 Likes

So were the ones that are already painted with the Cal Fire logo weren’t actually theirs yet?

2 Likes

I could swear I have read this same article for three years now and Blanco showed at least one of them being fitted with tank? What the hell is really going on?

4 Likes

All 7 C-130 have had their mandated heavy maintenance competed. This includes the wing spar replacement and upgrade competed. All have been freshly painted in CF colors and all they need is the fuselage modifications for the retardant delivery system (RDS) and the tanks installed.

Coulson is the contractor doing that work and estimates 6,000 labor hour per C130 to compete.

9 Likes

Thanks @Ehoss84 for the good info regarding this program and where its at in production.

4 Likes

https://www.mymotherlode.com/news/local/3282062/long-awaited-military-planes-coming-to-fight-wildfires.html

This is a Big Deal, been a long time coming. This should help the IA crews. Your not going to catch all the fires but you can slow it down a little depending on conditions. More tools in the Box!

7 Likes

I wonder how the $68 billion deficit will affect the time-line

3 Likes

Latest I’ve seen on the 7 C-130’s. According to this report they are going to be tanked at Mc Clellan.

2 Likes

Coulson Aviation will do the install of the internal tanks on the CAL FIRE C-130’s. I know their headquarters is in Canada, but I believe their install facility for the RADS-XXL is done at their San Bernardino International Airport facility. But I’m old and I can be wrong. Sacramento McClellan Airport is just where CAL FIRE Aviation Unit Headquarters is located. But like I said… :older_man:

3 Likes

On a related note, anyone know what’s going on with the gaggle of former AeroUnion P-3s in Chico & McClellan? I’m under the vague impression that two are going to be scrapped, and two in Chico look to be fitted with MAFFS, and that two more might be headed off for research.

2 Likes