1 Like

Typical arrogant statement but I’ll take that challenge

Going to HUU

1 Like

Do you have a start date yet?

Nope. Do you?

Never is a mighty long time…

1 Like

Good luck to all of you getting hired right now. Give 110%, work together, be a student of fire & weather and listen to your supervisors. You’re on the ground floor of a program that will probably be around for awhile…

5 Likes

NOTE: This is starting to look like a red vs. green debate. Don’t let go it there. This thread is not about that nor are we going let it become about that.

Now back to meaningful and constructive commentary about the mid season hiring.

Keith

6 Likes

And perhaps time to move it to General Discussion?

1 Like

That’s a long tall statement considering the status and reputation of many shot crews
These days

2 Likes

I have a red vs green debate every time I get a burrito. Red salsa or green hmm…:thinking:

6 Likes

The facts are the facts, look at them and ask yourself how long this program will be around

1. AB 109, Prop 47 & 57 have created a structural deficiency in New inmates coming into the program
  2. Covid-19 has accelerated this decline in New Inmates into the program
  3. The exodus of Federal FF to State & LG has been going on for over 10yr. This will only accelerate the process.
  4. Federal pay has not kept up with COLA in California. When a DAY 1 FF 1 can make almost $5k month with no unplanned OT. Add to that the increased benefits the state offers when compared to the Federal Agencies. For a young FF, the choice is clear.
  5. in the last 5yr, the BDF has lost 2 IHC Supt to Calfire & LG. If you think those former IHC aren’t going to teach/train/educate their FF, you’re fooling yourself.
  6. When was the last time Calfire eliminated a program? This is here to stay
  7. Instead of being negative, try being positive. I have laid out the pro’s & con’s of the program as I understand them today. I stress to those I’m losing to the crew “DO WORK, THIS WILL BE SOMETHING TO BE PROUD OF WHEN YOU RETIRE, YOU ARE A PLANK HOLDER OF THE NEW PAID FF CREW PROGRAM”

Its that last part I stress the most. I am losing some damm good FF that make my job easier. But as I’ve told them, my job is to train my replacement and don’t come to me with problems, come to me with solutions.

6 Likes

Copy That…Best one I have heard in awhile…Folks, look around man! With what’s happening in this country today and we are getting uptight about crews. Come on…….There are good and bad crews may it be Red or Green hand crews. Same with engines crews or any other work force in life. Your only as good as the person that can Motivate and lead by example. Positive reinforcement goes a long way. I did fire for 33 yrs and most of the time I was grateful to see Red or Green crews when things were going sideways. We have more pressing issues then who is who. Just put it out and be thankful you did it safely. If there was ever a time to take care of each other it’s now.

7 Likes

Ehoss84 do you know a good amount about the program? Im interested but haven’t heard much around our unit about the crew we’re getting and there are so many rumors it’s hard to keep track.

1 Like

1 dept, 21 different ways of doing business is the unofficial dept motto. I only know what is happening in my unkt

1 Like

Could you give some insight on how your unit is doing it if you don’t mind? Schedule? Are they limited to in county or not?

Well said Hoss

1 Like

Copy that sir!

Thanks Roger! Make sure your providing proper training & guidance to the AA :rofl: while on vacation in "Northern Canada":sunglasses:

General Discussion time?

1 Like