Cal Fire renumbering their helicopter fleet

Saw quick video today from Boggs Mtn, all of the Cal Fire ships are being renumbered to a 600 series and no longer will be specific to the base they are at. Also noticed the removal of the base names above the door.

2 Likes

Here is the Safety Com Bulletin about it

sc2023_04-Helicopter-Renumbering.pdf (209.3 KB)

5 Likes

I heard it was coming and understand why. But, I’m sure the ships crew and mechanics would like it to stay as it was. I pride of ownership thing you know.

8 Likes

I suspect it goes deeper than just pride of ownership. Pilots talk to their machines, sailors name their ships, and Marines name their rifles. I’ve always felt this was because of the important and precarious relationship they have with those machines. I felt that because their lives are do dependent on those machines, it is important that they show great care and difference towards them.

5 Likes

I was told by a couple rotorheads, because of the maintenance cycle, when the ship leaves for maintenance they will probably never see that specific ship again. It will be like being on a reserve forever.

3 Likes

As a mechanic, I really do understand what they are doing and why, but I can’t see the pilots or crew happy with the concept. Basically they will be flying a different aircraft each maintenance cycle. My friend was a relief Capitan at Parlin Fork, it must be a lot like that, only the crew rotates also.

5 Likes