Calfire Accepting FF applications

Calfire just released a job announcement for FF1 hiring today, 7/11/2022. The closing date is 7/22/22 and job offers are anticipated to begin in August 2022.

https://gcc02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.calcareers.ca.gov%2FCalHrPublic%2FJobs%2FJobPosting.aspx%3FJobControlId%3D316135&data=05|01|Erik.Hostetter%40fire.ca.gov|55c47af5aebb4aa8b28a08da63587bfa|447a4ca05405454dad68c98a520261f8|1|0|637931528977564661|Unknown|TWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D|3000|||&sdata=LKdyaXrJPBMmgxS4%2Fpv%2Fj5%2BpwpHEZhWFE%2BbVdwG7LhY%3D&reserved=0

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure it’s a typo but $15.00 to $4351.00 per hour, wow, that should get the applications rolling in.

6 Likes

I’ll demote myself for $4351 per hour!

6 Likes

HA HA…I will come out of retirement and reinstate.

3 Likes

I’ve seen your skill, your not worth the $15/hr without a Lazer, GPS and grade checker​:rofl::rofl::rofl:

4 Likes

A little humor is a great thing in this Day and Age…Thanks, for the chuckle!

2 Likes

I learned at a young age, if you can’t laugh at yourself, you can’t laugh at others. @Zacatack27 has been laughing at me for 20+ year’s. Time to laugh back🤣

Thank you for the kind words

3 Likes

Haha, it helps when I am the grade checker…

3 Likes

Division Zen. Get your application ready! The monthly salary of $3443, and the $1710 Extended Duty Week Compensation that is paid every 4 weeks comes out to $5153/month for your starting salary, before any overtime in excess of your 3 days/week duty schedule.

Likewise, have been retired FC since 2004 and believe I could still lay hose with most of them. :cowboy_hat_face:

Second thoughts, I wouldn’t want to give up my 3% @50 retirement and the last 18 years of COLA

6 Likes

I have no Doubt!!!

1 Like

Plus your retirement contributions begin as soon as you start, you don’t have to work several (or many) years before you become permanent before you’re working towards retirement. And you get health care insurance, dental and vision after your first pay period is completed.

2 Likes

Egad! Looking at the announcement and class spec for the job, it indicates the minimum qualifications are being 18 years old. Desirable qualification, posses a CA driver’s license.

https://www.calcareers.ca.gov/CalHrPublic/Jobs/JobPosting.aspx?JobControlId=316135

Then it lists the following required documents that must be included with your application:

• Other -Fire Fighter I Questionnaire. This form may be found at: https://www.fire.ca.gov/media/11604/fire-fighter-i-questionnaire.pdf
  • Other - CAL FIRE Basic Firefighter Certificate
  • Other - California State Fire Marshal (SFM) Confined Space Awareness Certificate
  • Other - California SFM Hazardous Materials First Responder Operational
  • Other - Fire Fighter Survival (Structural)
  • Other - CAL FIRE Wildland Safety and Survival Level 1
  • Other - Wildland Fire Chainsaws
  • Other - ICS 200 Basic Incident Command System for Initial Response
  • Other - Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) IS-100: Introduction to Incident Command System
  • Other - FEMA IS-700: An Introduction to the National Incident Management System (NIMS)
  • Other - FEMA IS-800: National Response Framework, An Introduction
  • Other - CPR
  • Other - Public Safety First Aid
  • Other - Emergency Medical Technician (EMT)
  • Other - Paramedic (EMT-P)
  • Other - California SFM Accredited FFI Academy or equivalent FFI Academy taught at a California accredited institution of post-secondary education recognized by the American Council on Education
  • Other - California SFM Fire Fighter I Certificate
  • Other - Honorable Military Discharge Paperwork (DD 214 / Member-4)

Is this for an entry level position? I know someone trying to apply and he can’t get his app to go through his Cal Careers account without uploading all these documents.

This is what they are looking for! but most units will require CAL FIRE basic cert , EMT. or first responders first aid. without those certs you are not competitive with the the average applicant. and most units will do resume review to rank applicants so more certs the better chance of a job offer. If your buddy doesn’t have the basics he need to search for them and get himself prepared for seasonal professional FF job. because after the basic academy no telling what the first Tone out will be. please don’t think it a red truck green truck jab.
I am retired now and have had to turn away many highly qualified candidates for not having the basics.
and lots who have promoted within a few seasons. to a permanent position. FAE,FC CREW’S, FC, HFEO. AND FF2. and other jobs in the department.
best of luck and Be safe.

1 Like

Calfire Basic Will NOT be taught after September 1, 2022. The new OSFM SFT FF1 curriculum is now what CF will base hiring on. If you’re buddy has FED time as a FF Type 2 or better. They are qualified at the SFT 1C level(old basic, crew specific) and only need SFT 1D to goto a crew.

As an example, all of the T1 CCC crews meet the requirements of SFT 1C and will be able to apply.

2 Likes

Well, thanks for the replies. My pal has lots of other irons in the fire right now, so maybe in a year or two he’ll have more certs.

1 Like

thanks for the update

I helped my son submit. For each document requested, click on the upload and select bypass.

Thank god the CAL-FIRE Basic is gone!!!

1 Like

Thank you! I’ve used the Cal Careers application process several times myself and never encountered this before. Maybe he’ll get through it tomorrow after all. Don’t know how competitive he’ll be but he’s a fine, strong young fellow who would thrive in the fire service.

2 Likes