CALFIRE proposed MOU changes

The admin fee absolutely has to do with the staffing. It’s a percentage, not a flat rate. Increase staffing, increase costs= Increased admin fee. This is a compounding cost if cdf goes to a 56. It doesn’t work for the majority of contracts and that’s just fact that can’t be argued with anything other than your emotion.

Does RVC not make money themselves by charging their own “admin fee” back onto the cities and special districts that contract through RVC to CALFIRE?

2 Likes

This has nothing to do with emotion, either the contracts staff adequately or they find a different way to staff their departments.

If a municipality can do it cheaper on their own then they should, but the reality is even with CAL FIRE going to a 56 it will still be a better deal for the municipalities.

Why wouldn’t it work for a majority of contracts? Oh yeah, because they want to continue taking advantage of CAL FIRE employees so their residents can pay cheaper taxes.

Schedule A staffing is and always has been an issue, because the contracts are understaffed. Not sure how much you know about the history of schedule A contracts back in the 80’ and 90’s. During that time the department was in a hiring freeze, the only way to gain more employees at the time was to get more schedule a contracts. The department was very aggressive in winning those RFP’s, which meant the contracts were always understaffing and underfunded to be the lowest bid and win the contract. Now we need to deal with that fall out and staff the contracts as they should and yes for some municipalities the cost will be too expensive. It’s just the nature of contracting services.

1 Like

Even though riverside county does pay millions to the state annually through the admin fee, it’s still millions less than if they had to employ all of the staff on their own.

And yes the county brings in money from an admin fee for municipalities that subcontract through the county.

3 Likes

Thr administration fee can be adjusted as needed each contract.

I worked sched A in the late 80’s and 90’s. IA’d a 50% involved structure fire by myself, no pcf’s. Numerous medical aids including full arrests/cpr for 20+ minutes by myself. I’ve had a gun brandished at me.

It sucks, it’s not safe.

2 Likes

Sounds like the Tulare contract???

1 Like

A couple different units. They’re not ro blame so remain nameless. It was just a sign of the times. We’re better than that now.

3 Likes

Don’t forget, Schedule A contracts like in MMU, RRU, MVU, BDU, etc staff equipment behind state mission and receive compensation plus their own admin fee.

1 Like

Here’s an interesting calculation to consider:

Going to a 66 hour work week would reduce EDWC by 24 hours per pay period, which equates to a 10.65% pay cut.

For those close to retirement, think about how that will affect your PERSable income.

Even with the increase in JAC and the 2% increase in longevity, a 25 year Fire Captain’s annual PERSable income will decrease from $117,507.49 to $107,928.74-a reduction of 8.1%.

The calculations are similar for all longevity levels and increases to a reduction of 9.7% until you reach 17 years.

So even that 6.6% increase over the next 12 months won’t offset the loss of EDWC, let alone the effects of inflation.

Some people are saying this offer only benefits those who are close to retirement. I’m not so sure it benefits anybody-especially those close to retirement. Did I make a mistake in the math?

3 Likes

If salaries aren’t decreased isn’t this then a 10.65% raise? Same salary for less hours worked?

Remember that “salary” only compensates for the first 53 hours each week (212 per 4 week pay period). EDWC is separate and is paid hour for hour at your overtime rate after 212 in a pay period-currently 76 hours per pay period, which will reduce to 52 hours under a 66 hour work week.

I’ve heard from a credible source that EDWC will continue to be paid hour-for-hour, so there will be 24 hours less EDWC each 4 week pay period.

My understanding is that this is not the “56 hour week with no loss of compensation” that we have been fighting for.

I really hope my source is wrong. We’ll see once 2881 decides to put out the real details.

3 Likes

Retirement is the average of your best 12 months. Even if the pay went down, the calculation would fall back to the best 12.

2 Likes

So…you’ll be working a couple years for free. Seems fair.

1 Like

We all need to show up for this one and get it back to the table. This is a terrible deal. Schedule A or B it doesn’t matter. It’s all smoke and mirrors and it’s bad for the membership as a whole.

4 Likes

It’s still adding years to your multiplier unless you’re already maxed. But then you were working for free anyway.

2 Likes

Well, you’ll be 8% behind, so that’s 32 months you’ll be working for free while you collect your 3% a year. Unless you max out and can’t make it up.

Either way, I’m sure those who are close to retirement will gladly work 6 hours less a week in order to work 2 ½ years longer. Like it said, seems fair…right?

By the way, anyone have a dollar I can trade for these three quarters?

3 Likes

So the overtime accrued after 212 is persable?

The Extended Duty Week Compensation (EDWC) is PERSable. EDWC is the 19 hours a week between the 53 hours (212 per pay period) covered by salary under FLSA 7k and the regularly scheduled 72 hour work week (288 hours per pay period). It used to be called “Planned OT”.

Anything above 72 hours a week (288 per 4 week pay period) used to be called “Unplanned OT” and is not PERSable.

3 Likes

Copy. It’s been a while since I kept a Smokey calendar up to date.

Well, it couldn’t be more confusing.

Nobody else in the country gets paid the way CAL FIRE does.

Even many long-time employees don’t understand how their pay is calculated.

2 Likes