CAOES...Alaska...why not?

My comments were never about P2P. That’s great that you get P2P! I think all should get that. I have not worked for anyone other than USFS so I don’t know how their policies work. Thanks for clearing that up.

Every fire I have been on while working with the USFS I have been told I “have to”. That is just me though. Glad you don’t have the same overhead that I do.

Also, could be different for me, because I have a class A license? I don’t know for sure, but I’ll take the rest when offered and or needed.

Your confused? Welcome to Fed world. People who make these Fed pay decisions haven’t spent time on a fireline or missed birthdays, weddings and anniversaries of their family and friends.

Feds are imploding. They’re doing a very good job of keeping our staffing and hiring issues off the radar. However that’s almost just as much our fault for not fighting as aggressively for pay and benefits as he have in the past.

1 Like

Local govs have strong unions fighting on behalf of there members. Very proud of the work they do. Nothing’s perfect, including unions, however having someone fighting on behalf of you and your family is something to be grateful about.

1 Like

I get the work rest cycle. But even when we work 24 on 24 off but are assigned to a fire we get paid 48 hours because we aren’t at home. So when the feds are out they don’t get paid during their rest time? Are they regulated on what they can and can’t do during that time?

2 Likes

CA National Guard have C5’s and C17’s…plenty of space for the model 34’s CF runs…saves 2 days of driving. Ready to hit the ground running.

1 Like

When on a fire we can be compensated a max of 16hrs for work to rest…

And sometimes were lucky enough to get the times lady standing in the chow line looking at crew shirts just to gripe that we were in camp eating before the time written on our crew time report.
No pay for lunch break while on the line either.

That being said, we are legal to go grab a beer when were off… I’d rather be paid

5 Likes

Cdf went on standby for Florida once…the plan was C5’s taking off from Mather.

2 Likes

The simple facts are that Inter-State agreements are very complicated to get established. It took significant time to work out the arrangements from Washington and Utah to send personnel last year. It is highly probable that there is nothing place from CalOES and Alaska DNR to send personnel from CA

4 Likes

Even between CA and OR…I’ve heard of cutting line to the Oregon border and stopping and let ODF take it from there

There is one additional factor in play, a lot of the Alaska fires are Federal. With as contentious as the CFAA Agreement is right now, I personally don’t see the Feds asking for California assistance if we were the last remaining untapped headcount

3 Likes

Guess I’m one of the “old guys” now. CDF now Calfire looked at and tried military transports once.

OPERATION KANGAROO. 3 engines per C5 from March AFB to Travis AFB. Took 2 C5’s to move 1 Charlie. By the time the logistics were worked out(weighing, manifesting, loading, securing) a Charlie from a neighbor unit had driven to Red Bluff😳. This was back when March was full time/SAC not reserve. Its not a weight problem, but a size/weight problem. The cargo(engines) had to be loaded in such a way not affect the center of gravity if the plane.

Fun questions, How many FAE, FC know the exact weight of their engine with a certified weight ticket on any given day? Where would you go to get said weight? Would you get axle weights? What would the distance be between the weight station and the loading ramp? All of the above questions MUST be answered prior to loading.

But 1st the request must be made. Alaska to Boise to Colorado(NMCC) to Washington. Then fill the request with DoD aircraft. Then Boise would be contacting Sac ECC to figure out which units would be sending equipment. Then those units would have to identify which engine’s would go. Then the local unit ECC would identify the personal. Keep in mind AAV. So Personal selected would have to have a clear schedule for 14days min. Highly likely that you could have a engine from station 1, FC/FAE from Station 2, and FF’s from stations 3 & 4.

Noticed I haven’t once mentioned P2P payment or the dreaded (some say HATEFUL) “H” word.

What seems easy to us on the ground is SUBSTANTIALLY more complex and takes time to put into motion.

Finally think about this, name another organization other than the Calfire or FS that in 72hr can establish a base camp to Feed, House, Supply, and Support a fire anywhere in the state for 5,000 personal. Even the military takes notes from us when it comes to LOGS.

7 Likes

I could see a state team going much faster and less logs. We have been to Idaho and Montana.

1 Like

Sacramento to Boise is 554 miles or about 10hr
Sacramento to Yellowstone is 864 miles or about 20hr
Sacramento to Fairbanks is 2,899 miles through another country

2 Likes

Code 5 -NORTH!!

4 Likes

Nope. Regulated is one way to put it. Our unions can’t bargain for wages and benefits. They can testify before Congress, lobby and we can vote for those who ultimately decide fed wages. fed unions don’t have the cash to donate like of oil companies, big pharma, and health insurance companies.

Are there hotels there to accommodate their every other day off?

3 Likes

Ca Oes sleeps in the dirt too. That is just Cal Fire. I assume those fires are being ran on 12 hour shifts because of feds as well versus 24s