CAOES...Alaska...why not?

We always seem to get help from everywhere else. Why isn’t CA OES helping Alaska?

1 Like

Cause it would be port hole to port hole…highly frowned upon I’d imagine. IMHO

1 Like

So the crews coming up there to help…they don’t get paid for there time away or what? I’m confused as to how someone wouldn’t be paid portal to portal.

1 Like

Pay everyone portal to portal like they deserve. The feds screw their fighters by not paying them P2P, and the powers to be absolutely hate paying local government P2P. Highly unlikely you will see CA OES resources in Alaska even though they need the help.

They went to Yellowstone in 1988 but will cost a lot of $.

So do a lot of people’s homes burning down. I wish they would pull the plug and start helping their communities.

1 Like

Ment no disrespect with the portal to portal comment. But Hell yes, we would be honored to come up to AK and help out in any way possible.

2 Likes

Don’t disagree here. Which Fire is burning houses? Nothing on inciweb

Not sure. … Buddy of mine up there is a firefighter he said. Wish you guys could come help. Some many structures burned right across the river from me. The whole state is on fire.

Well California FF’ers could be there in 45 hrs…of straight driving. But it wouldn’t be the first time I’ve been a part of an Alpha/Gulf ST. Let’er rip tatter chip!!

1 Like

So many other options to get them there quicker or for lower cost. I am sure they are in state of emergency so just haul engines in C5’s :grimacing::grimacing::grimacing: or long haul truck the engines and fly the firefighters.

2 Likes

We’ve had alpha strike teams from as far away as Texas here so why not.
But by the time they got to the woolsey Fire there was very little active fire.

McKinley fire burned 50 structures.

Most Fed Recourses are paid 16hr days gotta meet our 2 to 1

Most, or all? Only on IA we can get more than 16 but then we still have to “rest” to meet the 2:1 no matter how many hours that is. If we work for 20 hours during IA then we have to be off for 10.

1 Like

Well I know some of maybe all the DOD guys are P2P

1 Like

That is true, but I think they still have to meet the work rest guidelines

DOD are P2P. If I am ordered under a fed fire I will fill out a FSLA 5. If I am ordered under CAL-OES then I fill out an F 42. Either way when I am ordered up I will get paid P2P. Meaning I do not fill out a CTR or a time card until the end of the assignment. DOD Firefighters are 0081 Series, which is a firefighter title. On the 2:1 question that is a very tricky one. My department does not have a policy for that nor does the DOD. Our only guide line is the same driving regulations as the USFS. Hope this clears it up.

1 Like

If you work an I.A. for 20 hours you do not have to take 10 hours of rest, you just need to get back on that cycle ASAP. The direction in the Incident Business Management Handbook is:

"However, in situations where this does occur (for example, initial attack), incident management personnel will resume 2:1 work/rest ratio as quickly as possible. "

However, leadership make choose to make you take the time off reduce fatigue or for stress management. But, you don’t “have to”.

Not sure what the policy is for Alaska State fires (in comparison to fed fires), but some agencies will not pay p2p. Those of us working under that category do not have the option of accepting “hours-worked”. It’s all or nothing. NorCal2 was sent on a FEMA assignment last season but no p2p could go as FEMA would not pay that rate…

1 Like