CFAA Agreement

What will keep us home is the threat of not reimbursing LG. I don’t know many agencies/cities that can eat the cost of people being out for weeks on end. Things will get interesting.

I understand this argument but it’s important to understand that the FS audits these departments whenever they want and part of that audit is looking at where the money they paid for the Retiries went ( if that makes sense). It’s against the rules to supplement department daily operations with CFAA reimbursements and Department’s can be called out for that under the current agreement, then delt with accordingly. If that were the reason they were doing this then big Department’s such as LA City wouldn’t be owed the money they are owed. The precedence they are setting with changing their minds whenever they want is the issue. I wouldn’t be shocked if the new CFAA agreement in 2020 has to be signed by the USDA “CFO”.if the CFAA board allows the R5 boss to sign off on it again then we just risk a repeat of this situation.

Wonder if fs will show the audit findings in detail and provide what laws or rules have been broken.

Cfaa will be signed by the fs. Or the system implodes. No two ways About it. You can’t move LG engines and overhead to fed fires without it. That should be the first words from the fs in the comm strategy.

1 Like

I’m hearing fire departments in San Mateo Co will also not be sending anyone to Fed fires

1 Like

The county I work for has just decided to not send any resources to USFS incidents until a definitive answer has been given. This includes Apparatus and Single Overhead Reaources.

That is correct. The decision was made at the last Chiefs meeting. There may be some exceptions for single overhead that are attached to Fed teams but that hasn’t been determined as of yet.

May we ask which county?

San Mateo County

3 Likes

I’m currently an LG AD, I own a communications company that does work with many agencies. currently LG department are not able to support team positions or federal incidents. I know of 3 type 1 fed teams that are having trouble keeping their roster filled, I’ve been asked repeatedly. But as I’m LG AD if I get a call, even if I go out there is no guarante of getting paid or reimbursed for my expenses and the department is saying that they can only support local agency incidents for single resources and are no longer signing team members as LG AD, Unles they go single resource. California is going to lose a lot of fire protection personnel on the line if they don’t find a middle ground to agree on.

3 Likes

Yes this needs to get figured out sooner than later. There seems to be unanswered questions and a lack of information as to what’s really going on with the reimbursement issues. Until there is more clarification local gov departments will not be sending folks out to fed fires. IMTs are going to be hurting for people. Unfortunately this may be what it takes to get things figured out.

So to maybe help everyone understand both sides of this issue, here is the link to the Cal Chiefs explanation https://calchiefs.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/CalChiefs.FDAC_.MetroChiefs.LeagueChiefs-Letter-Re.CFAA-05.22.19-1.pdf and here is the USFS explanation. http://www.fs.usda.gov/goto/r5/CFAA I have not commentary on either side just presenting the opinions.

2 Likes

If you are an AD your payroll is processed when you return from the Unicode by through ASC (in Albuquerque). It shouldn’t be affected by what’s going on with the CFAA. Did you sign up through a Forest Service Office or BLM?

Communications. Communications. Communications. Here we all are in July with no updated comms.

No updated communication strategy from the Forest Service to LG Departments. No update on how much longer it will take, or how to submit your invoices. What forms to use. Nothing.

1 Like

The cattle are grazing on the other side of the pasture, no hurry we can close the gate in the morning !
:thinking:

3 Likes

I don’t know arff… I’ve been in that spot before. Those girls can cover some ground in a hurry. Better close the gate if you ask me.

3 Likes

Nationally the Forest Service employs approximately 10,000 wildland firefighters, including dozers, hand crews, Interagency Hotshot Crews, engine crews, helitack crews, and smokejumpers.

We get paid 16hrs of actual pay, period.
Other agencies will charge the government 24hrs of an inflated wage and back fill at overtime wage.

honestly its not fair to the tax payers…
just check out https://transparentcalifornia.com to see some of whats really going on.

Maybe this will put emphasis in the need to train up and compensate our own better and stop being a puppy mill for all the other agencies. And they say retention isn’t an issue. Most don’t leave the green army because they want a cool uniform and a badge, they leave for the pay and overhead support.

We cant always “do more with less” that’s been the moto since I stared in 99 and its finally coming to a head.

8 Likes

That was the motto when I started in 83…

2 Likes

Well said Push.

The fact that it has been a pretty slow year thus far, is both good and bad, in this circumstance. The FS has no real incentive to either solve this matter or communicate with anybody because the need for resources hasn’t been a problem. Should conditions change, and they probably will, there will be more pressure on the FS leadership to address the issue and find a workable solution. Conversely, the really great thing, is that it has been a relatively slow year thus far and the general public has not had to suffer the consequences of this complete FUBAR.

2 Likes

Pay parity across all levels of federal govt is pretty poor compared to local govt. but the least they could do is pay portal to portal while on an assignment. I remember being taken off the clock while spike camped and asked my sup if a tree falls on me tonight and kills me in my sleep is that considered a LODD? ya know im off the clock and all…

5 Likes