CO-South Canyon - 1994

7 Likes

Did you know…
John Kelso (aka Cowboy) was our (usfs) first fire apprentice to fall in the line of duty. In his Academy - he came thru in the early days - he was loved by everyone and made a huge impression on all of the staff/cadre. That rascal ended up receiving an award named something along the lines of “most badass firefighter award” and it would become what is now the John Kelso Leadership Award. It is a high bar that staff & students honor & respect to this day. I hope it never goes away.

I didnt get to meet John but i spoke to many who knew him. I wish i had met him. In my academy we met Tony Johnson who was also on the fire that day along with his brother Rob. Tony is responsible for saving my life and the lives of those who worked for me because of something he shared with my crew about that day and the wind - it changed my life forever, and to this day i still notice every time the wind changes or a fan turns on. Im beyond thankful for the the lessons that the 14 are still teaching us and i still wish those lessons did not require such a high price… #remember #always&forever

https://www.southcanyonfire.com/storm-king-14

12 Likes
2 Likes