Crew Discussion and Typing

Gov Newsom signed the budget for 2020/2021 yesterday 6/29. No Calfire Details as of yet, but the CDCR portion confirms the closing of 8 Camps.

1 Like

BDU handcrew is set to start training and be ready to go July 13th…4 FC’s and 17 FF1’s. Type 2 I/A for now with goal to reach Type 1 in future.

3 Likes

Part of the issue facing CDCR is not attributed to the budget but is due to the Early Release of incarcerees. Since the inmates for Fire Crews are minimum security, the available population for the Crews is far less than in previous times. These 8 Camps were slated for closure prior to any of the current Budget constraints.

4 Likes

A decent article showing the spread through the CDCR system, and how Susanville got some transfers, which then infected the prison, which then spread to the NorCal camps…

1 Like

My zone, invite and picture from families day late last year. Been rough the last 3 weeks, new plan was implemented and started @ 0800 today.
Lots of local, regional and state discussion, planning and assistance put in place. Hoping for the best for all !!

2 Likes

https://www.sacbee.com/news/california/fires/article243977827.html#storylink=mainstage_lead

Only 30 of 77 crews in the northern region are available due to Covid-19. Yikes!

1 Like

THEY ARE STILL 30 TYPE 1 CREWS THAT ARE DEDICATED TO DOING THE JOB. HAVING WORKED WITH THEM FOR OVER 25 YEARS, THEY WILL BE UP TO THE TASK, ALTHOUGH ONLY LESS THAN THE NUMBER THEY SHOULD BE. MY RESPECTS TO THEM AND THEIR SUPTS.

4 Likes

CF has been dodging the bullet with light fire activity. Level of frustration from boots on the ground is at an all time high. Some camps have been tested and cleared but remain locked down. Feels like this could be the final straw that breaks the camel’s back.

2 Likes

Same could be said for Engines to line their own fires. Especially IA

1 Like

Calfire doesnt control inmate lockdowns CDCR does.

1 Like

It’s not just the covid lockdowns. These guys are getting out like crazy rite now which is causing crews to be dismantled.

I work in TUU and have had no problems with engines lining fires.

4 Likes

Perfect stay safe

1 Like

With Kern County being a state contact county, how was there no state support to keep RIO Bravo open?

The Gray Book does not include crews

1 Like

That is incorrect

2 Likes

The state pays the contract counties more then enough to administer their contract. The state doesn’t pay those counties for individual programs such as a crew. If a county can’t adequately manage their budget why should the state give them more money?

I personally think contract counties where one of the worst decisions the state ever made. The last contract county was Orange County in early 1980. The only reason that happened was because Jerry Brown, in all his inflation wisdom, decided to cancel the Orange County schedule A contract and Orange County was unsuccessful in suing the State to keep their schedule A contract. This resulted in the creation of OCFD, which was the predecessor to the modern OCFA and all of the state station in the county became county station under the state agreement. I’m sure most of you are unaware that Cal Fire was the third fire department in the state to have paramedics, only LA city and LA county had medics prior to the CDF medics in the Orange County schedule A contract.

I bet even less people know that Jerry also used a count ordered injunction in the 1980’s to block Santa Barbara County from establishing a schedule A contract with the state.

7 Likes

Crew staffing is 1 Captain, 1 FAE and 12 FF1.

1 Like

Thus meeting the FIRESCOPE standard of a type 1 fire crew.

1 Like

Except type 1 status has a whole slew of other strict qualifications if your considering IHC statuses.

I foresee Type 2 IA only, eventually.

1 Like