Don't believe the Media Hype

Interesting article from 2016 talking about global fires, area burned, & fire severity. The research tells a different story when you look at history outside of the normal human 20-50yr thought process.

https://royalsocietypublishing.org/doi/full/10.1098/rstb.2015.0345?fbclid=IwAR2yP7z38omFo5_NVz1yTWjXzCyDb2RIlqE35rH1tur36NM354UEWhSa984

5 Likes

It is a very interesting article. Thank you for sharing. I do wonder though that if that same study were to take place today, the results might be different? 2017 to now has been pretty prolific in the western USA. All or at least most of our record breaking fires in California have occurred in that time period. I started in 2001 and from then until 2017 seemed pretty well status quo. Also, at least the last couple of years in Northern Canada.

1 Like

That is the point. Over shorter periods of time, you see greater swings in acres burned. As stated in the article, when you look at Ice logs, peat bogs, tree rings, carbon, etc. With time frames in excess of 100yr. Globally things are getting better as more knowledge is gained and more 3rd world countries become 1st world countries. Remember, the BIG Blow up of 1910 is what created the 10am rule. That has since been changed because it has been proven it made things worse, not better. History is lots to teach provided we are willing to learn it.

4 Likes

Take the media source with a grain of salt, but it coincides to a point with the article that you posted.

1 Like

I’m not sure I would tie an opinion piece by the director of an organization that actively rejects scientific consensus with a research paper that discusses global perceptions and realities. The way I understand the paper written by 2 people with a deep background in fire science is that they believe on a global scale wildfires have not necessarily increased due to climate change. They specifically say that on a regional scale (i.e. North America) that climate change can lead to increased wildfire impacts.

The paper also does not address why their research shows wildfires globally have not increased. There are many possibilities of this. It seems to be more focused on why there is the perception that climate change has increased wildfires globally.

Their paper does say

" The warming climate, which is predicted to result in more severe fire weather in many regions of the globe in this century will probably contribute further to both perceived and actual risks to lives, health and infrastructure."

2 Likes

Sir!!! We did not come here to actually “read” the article. We are here to yell about our opinion with no context or connection to reality. You’re doin it wrong Bryan!!

(Sarcasm, just in case)

7 Likes

For what its worth.
Article in the LA times about the building El Nino and how it relates to weather.

I will add, there is significantly more historical information about fires in the 1800’s that were even larger than what we see today. The difference is two fold

1. information moves so fast and is at our finger tips like no other time in human history.
  2. the population of the planet was less ha half what it is today.
    Perspective matters. Don’t believe me, ask the dinosaurs that went extinct without much human involvement.
2 Likes

I totally agree, that was why the disclaimer of take it with a grain of salt was put in. :rofl:

2 Likes

Dinosaurs !! (Sorry if this seems too off-topic)

https://www.google.com/search?q=chevron+dinosaur+commercial&rlz=1C1GCEA_enUS864US864&ei=8w-KZNh-2u6Q8g-YzZbYBw&oq=chevron+dinosaur+&gs_lcp=Cgxnd3Mtd2l6LXNlcnAQARgAMgUIABCABDIGCAAQFhAeMggIABAWEB4QDzIICAAQigUQhgMyCAgAEIoFEIYDMggIABCKBRCGAzIICAAQigUQhgMyCAgAEIoFEIYDOggIABCABBCwAzoJCAAQHhAPELADOgsIABCKBRCGAxCwA0oECEEYAVDBA1jBA2C_CmgBcAB4AIABTIgBTJIBATGYAQCgAQHAAQHIAQk&sclient=gws-wiz-serp#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:208af760,vid:w0B0t_4MTuM

2 Likes
2 Likes
2 Likes

https://kiowacountypress.net/content/environmental-nonprofit-launches-satellite-detect-methane-leaks

1 Like