Federal 401 series


I’ve been hearing some rumbling recently about the 401 series being pushed to the forefront again. Are regions looking at paying firefighters tuition to get education to meet the 401 series requirements? I know it was a thing in the past, but I haven’t heard of a forest/region paying for tuition for over five years now.

Has anyone heard or know of a forest/region that is doing this recently?


Not a peep about that for at least a decade. Big mistake if they’re looking at going that way.

However nothing wrong with land management education, just don’t require it.

1 Like

I would love it if my agency would pay for me to go back to school and take some graduate courses. I don’t think the current budget situation makes that very likely, though.