FEMT/ FEMP Packs

I know there was a post about it awhile back, but no answers were really given…

Curious to see what packs guys/gals are using for line medic/Emt assignments.

If it’s a “whatever my agency gives me” model, that too ha!

Thanks in advance

1 Like

I have the Mystery Ranch HOT RATS. Great brand, very comfortable. They have a newer pack out now as well. Highly recommend anything from them.

2 Likes

My agency uses the wolfpack usar pack that clips onto the webgear, you need two of them to carry everything but we always go as a team and the emt carries all the bls stuff and the medic has all the als stuff. The weight ends up being about equal.

I personally have a true north and mystery ranch crew pack which I can fit all the als gear into so I usually just use that since I typically leave the truck and go hiking with the crews or volunteer to be sent to the spike camps.

3 Likes

Out of curiosity what do you place in your line medic pack when you’re out walking the line? I doubt your running around with a life pack on your back as well. I only ask because my agency is starting to send line medics… I’m working on quals

It depends really. If I am headed out for a 24 on foot like tied in with a hand crew/Hot Shot crew I will carry the same complement of equipment just at a reduced amount. We only have medics at this point and 9/10 you’ll be paired up with either a medic or emt so there’s one of each in the pair. I only carry ALS stuff and the emt carries all the bls stuff. I have a LifePak1000 that I do carry with me if I hike out because of the risk of cardiac issues on the line. Hope this helps.

1 Like

Some Local EMS Agencies (LEMSA) have a set standard for both FEMT and FEMP’s required equipment, my LEMSA for example only requires an AED for Paramedics and not a complete monitor with 12 leads and everything else.

Here is the link for the California Fire Scope FIRELINE EMERGENCY MEDICAL TECHNICIAN Manual

https://firescope.caloes.ca.gov/ICS%20Documents/ICS%20702.pdf

The appendix has ALS and BLS list.

1 Like

Wonderful thank you very much. Hopeful to get my quals in time for this season

1 Like

I have the whole kit with me any time I am on the line. Have your agency invest in light gear. The LP1000 is top of the line but heavy, there are much smaller AEDs out there. There are BVMs that collaps down to pocket size. Make your pack work for you and train with it. If you are going to take on the responsability of Line Medic get out there on the line and be comfortable with the weight you have.

5 Likes

Our agency provides the line medic pack set up by Mystery Ranch. We have them set up for ALS or BLS, what/who ever is going out. As for what is carried, I have my pack then I have an “in car” kit that has some extra goodies that you can pick up in the MEDL tent. I carry an AED on my pack and keep the LP 15 in the car.