Fire Season 2024

Let’s start 2024 with the obligatory
Happy New Year to all
And
THE WORST FIRE SEASON EVER🤣

14 Likes

You are killing me,(thanks for the laugh) Happy New Year to All. Still early but we are not exactly tipping the scales in the rain and snow dept in the Motherlode.

7 Likes

Happy New Year to all, and be safe as Fire Season has started. :slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes

Simply, Happy New Year 2024 to all. May the new year bring good health, happiness, prosperity and to the fire agencies no deaths or serious injuries including suicides. Thank you for all you do. Best wishes to all.

16 Likes

Wishing you all a Happy and Healthy New Year! :man_firefighter:

3 Likes

We have smoke all over the place, piles and leaf piles are being burnt all day, every day. Unlike the left coast where things are growing green. Out here everything is still brown and burnable.
A safe New Years to y’all and SAFE fire season, no matter the intensity.

9 Likes

Yea so far this winter has been underwhelming but it’s only early January happy new years everyone! Hope you had great holidays if you celebrate

4 Likes

2023 was a slow season - record slow for Lake Napa unit:

5 Likes

Thanks for the update. That chart shows what everyone was thinking. Last year puts and end to the myth that a wet winter creates more fuel for a bigger fire seaon. Wet witner = slow fire season.

1 Like

We also had quite a few summer rains in 2023. I believe every month but July/ August was measurable in the motherlode. September and October we had pretty considerable rain events.

6 Likes

I can’t remember 2012 and why it had a, what we might now call a moderately high, season of 34,609 acres as I didn’t start paying attention again until 2015 with the Valley and the destruction it caused in several communities. Interesting that 2016 acreage isn’t all that high, by comparison, yet the Clayton fire ran though Lower Lake and also caused a lot of damage. In 2021 or 2022 the Cache fire took off East of Clearlake and though it didn’t get very big, under 100 acres as I recall, it wiped a good chunk of a trailer park before being stopped. It would be interesting to see a chart of seasons by structures destroyed.

3 Likes

How has everyone’s progress been (fed hiring) for the upcoming season? Our outlook is bleak. Potentially losing a lot of full time folk to other agencies, and we have very few local applicants, on a very short list. Probably going to have 2-3 of 7 engines unstaffed, many others five day.

4 Likes

To my understanding from talking to several forest that’s the case for R5 I know our neighboring forest has a handful of engines that didn’t get staffed as well I believe we had and engine or two on ours go unstaffed as well …heard it was slim pickings hiring wise

1 Like