Fire stations and non-potable water

Whats with Fire stations and non drinkable tap water? In my own experience, numerous cover stations, oou assignments, seems like lots of notes saying don’t drink the water, or Arrowhead jugs. Is it a infrastructure issue within aging departments? Is it actually normal but not for commercial building use? Code and compliance regs? Kinda chuckle to see a few joke posts about it within a thread over the years, but, ahh why not ask. Cheers

2 Likes

Some of these stations are in remote locations with poor well opportunities. Some might be old stations. Have been in both.

4 Likes

Mostly well water systems and 15 years ago it was good water
now it does not meet certain testing standards
Bear Valley comes to mind

4 Likes

In years gone by, Wilbur Springs. Do not know current conditions there.

2 Likes

If it’s a FS station it’s 50:50 that you can even breath the air without getting hantavirus. Do NOT drink the water in these facilities.

5 Likes

I don’t know of to many forest service stations where I’d drink the water no matter what they say

4 Likes

Shit, you’d be lucky to even have water. A few years ago 3 of 4 stations on my district were dry. Stealing municipal water with a FS tender on the daily.

6 Likes

I work in a not cal county, not rural, and we can’t drink the water because of what the Air Force flushed into the ground!

3 Likes