Firefighter Endorsement

Once you have gave up or late to renew a CDL, you have to go through the whole NEW routine to get a CDL. Past does not count, just like a newbie . :face_vomiting:

1 Like

Lets hope common sense prevails here.

And do not forget you have to have a physical every two years with a CDL

1 Like

Went through some of the new regs from FEB. You donā€™t want to be late on renewal, they werenā€™t indicating any forgiveness. It is the DMV. I have heard under the new testing procedures over 50% failure on the truck test before the truck is even started. Very process oriented step by step before driving.

1 Like

We live in Commiefornia, common sense is out the windowā€¦ ijs

3 Likes

AJ, your talking about the state of California and DMV. Common sense ??? I was involved in the fight with DMV when this came to be. It was obvious that DMV did not like it. They would not even read their own website that explained the howā€™s and whatā€™s about this program. Many arguments with DMV staff and I basically told them to read their own web site. No, apparently Sacramento does not tell the folks in the DMV offices that the law changed. It is a good program if its administered correctly. Yes, you can pencil whip it but I donā€™t. 18 hrs in the classroom and 16 hrs behind the wheel with a licensed driver. Then the DMV Commercial written test with Air brake and Tank endorsements. A Health Questioneer and not a Physical.

3 Likes

Well seems common sense got us the FF Class C soā€¦

1 Like

Thx to Ronnie Coleman and 2 Legislators, 1 from Arcata and 1 from Riverside. Canā€™t remember their names.

21 years ago I had an option for Class B Restricted or Commercial Class B for my department. I optioned for class B restricted at the time I passed my driving test with DMV. Now I went with FF Class C when they changed over. Made no sense for the change over.

Though I donā€™t use my class A anymore, Iā€™ve kept it via the automatic renewal process because of those issues. Only need the Drs note during the renewal. I let my Drs note expire until renewal time. Canā€™t use it unless I update the Drs note. So only go for the exam every 5 years. YMMV

Many years ago the primary difference between a Class A or B commercial license or a FF endorsement for the same class was paying for it. FF endorsement was same testing but no fee. I knew folks who paid out of their own pocket to have a license they could use outside the department vehicles.

Iā€™ve kept my CDL for over 25 years. All I had to do was get a physical every two years and, finally, take a written test three years ago.

Itā€™s not that hard folks. Especially once you achieve it. Iā€™d suggest every fire service person in CA with a CDL just keep the license. WAY easier than trying to get it again.

YMMV.

H-S

5 Likes

Plus submitting your CDL medical can be done online now. The FF endorsement cannot be submitted online.

2 Likes

Here is the link to submit your CA CDL medical. It does not work for your FF endorsement.

1 Like

That is timely info because I just got my medical done today. Thought I was going to have to schlepp it to the office.

2 Likes

So
Regulated vehicles (Commercial Motor Vehicles-CMV) are those rated greater than 26,001lb GVWR
CMV have all the federal regulations and the states can make stronger, and not less. Those unregulated vehicles(below 26,000 GVWR) are subject to state and not federal regulations.

The FF exemption was intended for engines and water tenders ONLY. correct about the camps and the BIT inspection ā€œproblemsā€

Bottom line is this, if itā€™s a CMV federal rules apply. The FF exemption will NOT WORK for CCV, HEFOā€™s and the Helitender(AKA BOMBS). Those FC & FAE in the crew program have to drive with a Commercial Class B with Passenger Endorsement.

The law that took effect on Feb 7, 2022 is a federal law and apply to CMVā€™s, hence the reason for the 16hr behind the wheel driver training before taking the DMV road test.

2 Likes

OK A question came up this week. What about our stakesides with a 26K GVW AND air brakes. Class C or Class C with Air Brake endorsement?

When was the last time your engines and water tenders were scaled per CDF contractor requirements ? By that I refer to fully loaded with fuel, hose and accessories complement, full crew including whatever to taken on out of area assignment. Also comparing that weight ticket to the GVW of front axle and the rear axle(s). The rating of a vehicle has more to do with registration/weight fees. My point being when have you seen a stakeside weighted ?
By the way, any vehicle can be a regulated vehicle if carrying reportable quantities of haz-mat cargo . Ieā€¦ propane cylinders, fuel, certain ignition devices, even fire retardants is a haz-mat load in its dry bulk form.
Just observations from someone who has been there and observed that.

If it has CA 9002 for CAL FIRE vehicles, it is regulated. In theory you have to have a full Class B, and any applicable endorsements required (air, manual transmission, hazmat). However current thinking is all of our vehicles are emergency so you only need Class C with firefighter endorsement. That license will get you to and from the ā€œEmergencyā€

2 Likes

From Heimduo.org

Do you need an air brake endorsement under 26 000 in California?

For some bizarre reason, an air brake endorsement only applies to CDL drivers ā€“ an F750 equipped with air brakes and grossing at 26,000 lbs or less does not require a CDL or air brake permissions. Q. I would like to put a 1200 gallon hydroseeder on a truck. If the truck has a GVWR of under 26,001 lbs.

Does a vehicle with a GVWR of 26001 pounds require a CDL to drive?

A CDL is required to drive any of the following vehicles: Any single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds, or any such vehicle towing another not in excess of 10,000 pounds. Any vehicle, regardless of size, designed to transport 16 or more persons, including the driver.

Do you need a CDL to drive a 26 foot truck?

A 26-foot box truck has an average GVWR of 26,000 pounds which does not require a CDL. You can therefore drive one with a regular driverā€™s license.

At what weight are air brakes required?

For example, a person can drive a straight truck with a gross vehicle weight rating of 26,000 (under 26,001 lbs.) with air brakes, and no CDL is required. The ā€œair brakeā€ reference is commonly thought of as an ā€œendorsementā€.

Do you need a CDL for air brakes in California?

Primary question: Is there any level of commercial license/air brake endorsement needed to operate this vehicle legally in California?. Any class C driver can drive that truck in CA. There is NO air brake endorsement required for a vehicle under 26,000lbs GVW.

1 Like