Firefighter Endorsement

That rule actually makes a bit of sense. Air brakes are 110% better than hydraulic on trucks this size and making that more difficult to drive legally might be counterproductive to safety. As to special knowledge required, I don’t know what to think. Seems there are a lot of CDL holders running around who forgot most of what they ever knew about air brakes and any other general theory on the test.

2 Likes

You are correct pal, but so grey and non transparent with CF. 4 years ago regulated CF vehicles with the DOT number on the door, had “random” or not so much, BIT inspections at CF stations up and down the state. CHP inspectors (same ones at weigh stations) arguing with FEM’s and making phone calls. How many TD’s have you seen with and without the number, along with tenders and Busses. Very wishy washy unit to unit. Were “exempt”… no were not, yes we are… back and fourth with every FEM up and down the state. So now, currently, no numbers on the doors. No random Controlled substance test’s either. No joke. Were “exempt”… I say what a joke. Your asking for problems. Pretty soon a FF endorsement will be haulin MKU’s and dozers. But, Yes, a CHP DOT F250 cop was working the OAK fire incident. I did see a agency water tender stopped by him and I have heard conversations of non engine type fire related equipment being checked. I have no idea the outcome. Keep lowering the standard for employment requirements. Scratch your head and wonder why you have broken equipment. Cheers

3 Likes

So……,
I guess the actual question is do we follow the law or are we above the law .
If I remember right, the hose trailers used by FS are over 10,000 lbs. And ANY trailer with a GVWR over 10,000 lbs requires class A license, no matter the current cargo (empty or loaded).

1 Like

Correct, hence why most smaller rental yards with compact equipment started checking DLs or offering delivery.
GreenBelt, UR has been in this practice for years. But I guess there below the law and can appreciate a Fine and ding on there insurance. There’s something about experienced CDL driver vs FF endorsed driving a Tender, Engine etc, that I would assume most people that would have to a pay insurance bill would pay attention too. Government is self insured/self registered. Lost of huge budgets and the affordability of a lawyer or two. Lots and lots of generational this is fine (we’re above the law; doesn’t apply to us). I’m not a cop, it’s a free country. But I can appreciate being better safe than sorry and susceptible… I mean we are the FD… isn’t that our job. Cheers.

3 Likes

We are NOT EXEMPT from federal law. States can make laws stronger but not weaker.

In the case of the CMV rules, those CF employees without a Commercial Class B and Passenger endorsement who are driving a CCV are in violation of the law.

4 Likes

Except its back… FF endorsement CC’s at camps, FF endorsement FEO’s at Hand Crews without Passenger Endorsements and the good old FF endorsement classes still being provided by Training. Opening Dialogue , " Ya you can drive a transport now as long as it has a lightbar!" HaHa Shucks… Really wish the policy language would stay in front of current standards.
The only folks in the DMV Pull programs are mechanics with CDL’s. Talk about “Loose”

2 Likes

Anyone got a newer policy

That was policy, the rule or law the state did was written so badly they wrote another to clarify the first. The bottom line is if the operator is not licensed and endorsed for the vehicle and has an accident, the lawyers win operator loses

3 Likes

I agree Ed, Temporary directives for hiring and “Meats in the seat”, are just that, Temporary. It seems that nothing though is followed up anymore.

2 Likes

I guess I can still operate fire equipment as I still have a FF endorsement. (Put on my license with out my consent)

1 Like

I believe… after reading this at least a dozen times, that you can not operate a regulated vehicle with a Class C FF endorsement… please feel free to explain in more detail or clarify. I know everyone is busy. :sunglasses:

4 Likes

The weight GVWR or GCWR is key. The federal government defines a Commercial Moter Vehicle (CMV) as a single vehicle greater than 26,001lb or a combination of vehicles where the trailer weighs greater than 10,000lb.

This is where the rubber meets the road and its still CLEAR AS MUD!

3 Likes

I read this the exact same way you do, every time I read it…ha!

1 Like

What I’m interpreting is, Cant drive a CCV or Transport

1 Like

There is an amendment to clarify it but it doesn’t read any better

3 Likes