Glossary of items

Hi folks!

Thank you for the amazing work and contributions from the members! Every summer it’s become a routine to look at this site when incidents start near our area, and reading the posts/predictions/having the current intel really helps assuage some of my anxiety!

I wondered if it was possible to build out a page/section on the site with a glossary of slang/terms? I’ve learned so much from just reading the posts, but some of the info isn’t always clear to me or easy to find, even with context in the posts (like, what’s an IAP? Incident assessment…plan…something? or what’s an MRB?) I know what a MAFF is, and recently read somewhere about what golf meant, and other team slang words (can’t remember right now!).

As a non-firefighter (my wife will be red-card certified soon and she’ll be part of a burn organization to protect our area) I would really appreciate having this information!

Thanks again for all the great work you do, and stay safe out there if you’re working any fire!

4 Likes

IAP is incident action plan. MRB is mobile retardant base. " Golf" refers to a crew strike team.

3 Likes

Check your App Store for IRPG and Firescope FOG (Field Operations Guide). There is a lot of information in those items.

2 Likes

Thank you! I was close on the IAP guess (I thought plan for P, got derailed by the A) so that’s the morning report for ops/strategy that I watched IC’s go over it last year every morning then

The MRB thing is new - appreciate the answer!

2 Likes

Thanks! I suppose what I was asking for is for for the developers of the site to dedicate a page or a section to the jargon for curious non-firefighters like me. In most websites that’s the Wiki - it’s helpful when things get really technical. Thank you for mentioning the IRPG and FOG - it’s helpful to know the resource at least for where some of the terms come from! I’m sure I have a few forest service documents and some have the acronyms spelled out, but every once in a while I run into a few that I don’t recognize, even with context. I think my wife has a FOG, I’ll ask her!

1 Like

Also this resource NWCG Glossary of Wildland Fire, PMS 205 | NWCG Glossary of terms by the NWCG

1 Like

We used to have this on the old hotlist. I wonder if its archived somewhere on the interwebs.

2 Likes

Ohhhh yeah I think I came across PMS 205 and spent a while trying to figure out what PMS meant lol (publication management system). Thanks for reminding me of it

2 Likes

I just added the glossary from the old site to the General Discussion forum. You can find it here:

2 Likes

Wow this is exactly what I was looking for! Thank you for including it for us newbies (sort of, I’ve been following the site since last year with the Dixie fire and others in the area) it really helps!

2 Likes