Historic September Lightning Events?

A few years ago I read about a historic lighting event a long time ago in California in September and was wondering if anyone knew what year that was?

1987 was a big yr.

2008 Mendocino County over 200 fires county wide

1 Like

Thanks for the replies folks. Looking specifically for an event that occurred in what I believed to be in late September in the early 90s.

You said a long time ago! That was yesterday!

1 Like

1994 the Klamath had a lightning bust, Largest of the fires was the Dillon fire between Somes Bar and Happy camp. My district had 14 lightning fires from that storm.

5 Likes

Sept 1999 around Sept 8th, lightning event along the Central Coast/Bay Area from former Hurricane Greg. This led to the Kirk-Hare fires starting which become the Kirk Complex in the Los Padres, roughly in the same area the Dolan Fire is currently burning.

4 Likes

We had a lot of lightning fires in the Butte and Plumas County area in 1999 (Butte Lightning Complex and Bucks Fire), but technically, the fires started on August 30th. Incidentally, the North Complex West Zone has just slopped into the Bucks Burn in Grizzly Creek.

2 Likes

Longest 2 years of my life… 22 days at the Kirk!!

3 Likes

I spent a year there one week also
:sunglasses:

2 Likes

That was July I believe.

1 Like

I just remember firing off the ranges on FHL and hearing all the unspent rounds going off in the distance

2 Likes

I guess that’s one way to do range clearance!

3 Likes