Hurricane Hilary - Aug ‘23

96-5300 as ‘TEAL77’
99-5309 as ‘TEAL81’
97-5305 as ‘TEAL78’
These are the current Hurricane Hunters that are assigned to recon for Hurricane Hilary. Staging is out of KSMX (Santa Maria Public Airport) in Santa Barbara County. ‘TEAL77’ is the only aircraft so far to finish a recon flight. As stated above they have been moved to KSMX for shorter flight times as to allow more time inside the storm due to fuel limitations when lifting from Biloxi.

9 Likes

TEAL81 moved to SMX earlier today:

TEAL78 is en route from Biloxi to recon and currently over Southern Texas:

3 Likes

Yosemite News Info

https://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,98523,98524#msg-98524

2 Likes

If all this comes true HWY 395 should be a fun drive during that time period.

6 Likes

Tropical Storm Warning now issued for Hilary. As of the 8pm PST NHC update….Hilary has maintained winds and pressure over the last 3 hours

Tropical Storm Warning is now in effect for our entire forecast area (San Diego, Orange, W Riverside, SW San Bern. counties). Passage of Hilary will most likely be late Sunday/Sunday evening. Here is the 8 PM bulletin from the National Hurricane Center: nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/M…

4 Likes

Can you please correct the link so it works?

2 Likes

https://forecast.weather.gov/showsigwx.php?warnzone=CAZ050&warncounty=CAC073&firewxzone=CAZ250&local_place1=San%20Marcos%20CA&product1=Tropical+Storm+Warning&lat=33.1433&lon=-117.165

3 Likes

People are saying this is the FIRST Tropical Storm of Southern California. FALSE! That storm occurred in September 25th, 1939. After the 1939 storm that killed 100 people the NWS opened its first Southern California office in 1940. The National Hurricane Center was formed in 1955. Long after the 1939 storm had occurred. Just to let you all know the National Weather Service was founded in 1870, before NOAA, NHC, and way before the NWS Severe Storm Prediction Center. With that being said, the NWS did form a Tropical Storm Watch for the 1939 storm, but the NHC could not because, it wasn’t around. Therefore, this proves this isn’t the FIRST Tropical Storm watch for Southern California!

1 Like

Just for clarification……you are correct as far as the 1939 storm being the last. I think what folks are hearing and reading is that this is the 1st tropical storm watch…now warning ever issued for SoCal

5 Likes

Good point on what the NWS called storms when it began in 1870 - tropical watches or warnings. NHC began in 1950 - this is the first since then but not in the history of Ca. tropical storms.

Looks like a lot of rain either way:

4 Likes

The hurricane hunter plane found that the storm is still a category 4 hurricane with a minimum central pressure of 946 MB and maximum 130 MPH winds. The storm likely peaked in intensity a few hours ago and is now starting to weaken as it encounters wind shear and cooler waters.

8 Likes

Well Hilary has strengthened again. This mornings 5am PST update from the NHC shows her pressure dropped to 943 mb

6:00 AM MDT Sat Aug 19
Moving: NNW at 13 mph
Min pressure: 943 mb
Max sustained: 130 mph

5 Likes

TEAL 79 has been airborne for just under an hour and is off the coast of Rosarito, so we should be getting some greater insight on how things look shortly

2 Likes

Screen Shot 2023-08-19 at 7.25.57 AM !

4 Likes

Live video: https://youtu.be/AMntvIwpEyc

2 Likes

8:30 am PT Flood Warning I-8 west of El Centro. I’d say don’t count on the I-8.

State 86, State 111. Drainages around the Salton Sea. Passable roads and highways are going to be tough calls all through into next week.

I don’t expect that CalTrans Quick Map is going to be keeping up with everything in real-time, but they will try.

10:04 am I-10 around Desert Center and S-111 around Niland.

The pace of these are going to be picking up all weekend. Gonna be rough getting from place to place out there.

2 Likes

Hurricane Hilary is transitioning into a subtropical baroclinic driven storm and this is keeping the pressure down and spreading the winds out. Hurricane hunters found an extrapolated sea level pressure of 956 mb just now. The mid level ascent and increased forward motion is keeping the storm in tact for now. This kind of set up usually only happens for the east coast.

8 Likes

4 CMV-22B Ospreys. This is the ship transport variant, built for rough weather. Possibly recce and prepositioning.

3 Likes

Probably getting the he… out of ElCentro /Yuma to keep from drowning (:

4 Likes

29 Palms Marine Base is right out there in the middle of it. Not a bad place to have some supply. Marines have been pretty quick to demonstrate capability with the Osprey. I’ve seen some YouTube video of Ospreys doing bucket drops demos for Cal Fire.

4 Likes