Hurricane Hilary - Aug ‘23

2:00 pm PT Sun Aug 20. Flood Warnings marching up into Riverside and San Bernadino. I’d expect this might fill in solid red by tonight. Resolution to the hot spots will probably start to happen once the main front passes.

2 Likes

2:23 pm PT. Some lightning around Owens Lake and the Inyo Mountains. The 136 is closed. 395 remains open.

4 Likes

Okay then…

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/ci39645386/executive

18 Likes

Earthquake weather? it’s a thing apparently…

7 Likes

Two words sir!
“lottery ticket”

9 Likes

Can’t make this stuff up.

5 Likes

Yes, you can… the movie 2012.:thinking:

7 Likes

Arizona bay :rofl:

5 Likes

AND…the earthquake in Ojai hits. Mother Nature is not happy.

5 Likes

So with everything going on what will this rain do to the grass crop? Guess I’m thinking along the lines of a few months from now if this will possibly move fire season later into the year.

Not sure where to put this question…

2 Likes

Traffic is slowing down to a crawl out in the desert.

2 Likes

I should say a naive reading of the color map makes this look a bit different than what is actually going on. Read the fine print. dBZ is a measure of radar reflectivity, not actual precipitation.

2 Likes

Guessing that’s not possible

Virtual weather and climate office hours by Dr. Daniel Swain: 08/20/2023 edition - YouTube

Dr. Daniel Swain has some interesting observations about radar coverage and conflicting radar readings.

1 Like

Yeah. Fixed that up. Sort of shocking to look at. Whoa.

1 Like

2 Likes

Might be getting a little snow, though?

The nominal center of Hilary is now passing north of Riverside. Winds on the south side of the ‘center’, or what’s left of it, should be slowly shifting from southerly to, maybe, westerly later on.

5 Likes

Sacramento Fire SWRT-7 deployed to Bishop for Pre-Po assignment

6 Likes

I wonder if there is a T-Shirt for responding to a hurricane, a wildfire and an earthquake in 36 hrs?

10 Likes

Highway 177 between Desert Center and Highway 62 is closed.

4 Likes