Is this my job?

So I’m on a type 3 crew in BC, I’m uk arborist and forester by trade and wanted to try out wildfire.
I’m on my second deployment of patrolling dead fires, it’s mentally exhausting (im in the best phyical condition ive ever been in and constanlty improving) as I’m so used to brain stimulation and adrenaline with work. People are telling me that this is what wildfire is, I struggle to believe it. I know I have a lot more to give than patrolling endlessly just so it looks like we are busy to the IC. No clear objectives, just doesn’t feel like I’m helping anyone other than my employers pocket.
What’s people’s opinions, wrong company? Or this is what I’ve signed my self up for?

2 Likes

Wrong company and or wrong piece of equipment reputation. Also don’t expect to get great assignments right off the bat it takes time to develop trust from overhead that you understand fully what the risks are and that you can complete assignments.

But agency has alot to do with assignments particularly when it comes to larger campaign style fires, a CAL FIRE run incident is not gonna put some resource it knows nothing about in a potentially crucial assignment or dangerous one.

My advice if this is what you want transfer to different agency or take time and build trust where you are, also don’t be overly excited to be thrust into something you may not be ready for. The things you described as your trade don’t equate to actually fire experience but they do help you make some decisions.

5 Likes

First, welcome to the forum. It is always great to see new people join in.

I will preface my comments that I am not an expert on BC or Canadian fireline requirements, so if there are differences between your requirements, I am definitely not trying to mislead you.

Being on a Type III crew, you will most likely rarely if ever see active fire. You would need to be on a Type II IA qualified crew. Also, here in the US, you would need to have very specific Red Card credentials including S212 in order to be eligible for felling irrespective of your non-fireline experience or background. Knowing some of BC’s felling requirements and certifications, I am pretty certain their fireline requirements are going be very similar.

Mop up and patrol, while not glamorous, are two extremely important aspects of what we do. While you might feel underutilized or perhaps even overqualified, please understand that every task we do out there is vital to the overall success of the incident objectives. Additionally, your learning very important skills including team cohesion and unity. A good crew has act and operate as a single unit not a collection of individuals assigned on an incident.

Use this time to elevate your skills, your experience and your credentials. You will absolutely be a valuable asset for a higher graded crew.

9 Likes

While most have been there, patrolling a “Dead” fire is no thrill . Until the wind comes up and now you are IA on this rekindle. We all enjoy the rush of fire fighting, but then we still have to roll the hose and sharpen the tools for the next one.

Welcome aboard !

7 Likes

Also I misread this post too early this morning I thought it was for a Type 3 Engine crew.:face_with_hand_over_mouth:

3 Likes