"It's just the way it is!"

This site here has been around for many years, if not a decade or two at this point. Traditionally, it has been a place to come to get news and information of that smoke you might see from your backyard, fire station, or neighborhood. It comes from people listening to their scanner, station radio, watching the smoke from a mountain top, watching AFF or any of the number of ways to observe a fire. Many fires get excellent fire history, fire behavioral science or history and ordering information from some people that have been in the fire service for many years. Also, most large fires information tends to wanes as the lust of following the new shining object (that new smoke or dispatch).
However of late, commentary here is ‘how come I haven’t been sent yet’, terminology questioning, ‘has a team been ordered yet’, or any number of questions that most of us have answered or may not be able to answer other than “It’s just the way it is!”

11 Likes

This is why I am here. I want to know about the fire truck sirens and smokes in my neighborhood. I also follow for news of fires in the counties where I am connected to Animal Response Teams. Thank you for this site!

1 Like

Seams like every year we go through these resource cycles. Why was engine x sent when my engine is 3 seconds closer, why haven’t I been sent yet, why am I not getting OH calls.

While those posts get irritating, even though a rare few will have some merit, I was really surprised on some of the questioning or push back on fire history. This site still has some of the best info available for wildland firefighters. I love the fire history, the talented weather folks that break down the complex into simple terms, and the vast nuggets of local knowledge that pop up.

For those that want to really know more about ordering, read up on agreements, look into what is going on with your specific agency and operational area. Do you have qualified overhead, is it going to place a burden on your agency to let OH or equipment go? Can every agency support an Xbox STEN? City or county of whatever still has its jurisdiction and citizens as a priority first and always.

Those individuals that bring a lot to the table, your work and knowledge is appreciated!

15 Likes

@cdfff, You couldn’t have said it better. Every resource (whether private or agency) is governed by some kind of protocol for mobilization and they’re not all the same no matter where you are at in the United States. Bottom line is know what the rules are with your local agency, that’s where it all starts.

6 Likes