J-158

Anyone know where to look to find the radio operator class? I’m trying to get a RADO task book. I’ve looked on CA State fire training and got nowhere, same with the NWCG website.

2 Likes

This is not only above my pay grade, I’m a guitarist. Curiosity led me to this catalog, which describes the task books, and the ordering system.

From pg. 69: “NFES 1968 J-158 Radio Operator”

2 Likes

@FFMedic1371. You are not going to find a class because there is no class for the position. If you are in California then you need to pay attention to CICCS as that differs from NWCG. For the NWCG position it is found here, RADO
The NWCG position requires the following.

Required Training

Required Experience

• Completion and Certification of NWCG Radio Operator (RADO) Position Task Book (PMS 311-97)

And it will point you to a Job Aid that is found here. The job aid is old (2002) and probably won’t be too much help.

RADO Position Task Book
Understand that you can’t go out on your own and just open a Position Task Book and expect it to be approved and accepted. If you are in California then you need find out who is the CICCS person in your department and go that direction. The 100 series is Fire Chief approval but you need to get into the system for the system to work for you…

--------- For folks in California who are under CICCS --------------

The CICCS documentation is found here. Under contacts, the replacement for Vern has not been announced yet after his untimely passing last month. We worked together many times as he was a fellow Kern County guy.

The CICCS RADO position is below

Radio Operator (RADO)

REQUIRED TRAINING

• Radio Operator (J-158) ← This is an issue since a “J” is a Job aid and it isn’t really training.
  • Introduction to ICS (I-100)
  • Basic ICS (I-200)
  • NIMS an Introduction (IS-700)

REQUIRED EXPERIENCE

• Successful position performance as a Radio Operator (RADO)

PHYSICAL FITNESS LEVEL

• None Required

OTHER POSITION ASSIGNMENTS THAT WILL MAINTAIN CURRENCY

• Aircraft Base Radio Operator (ABRO)
  • Initial Attack Dispatcher (IADP)
  • Any higher position for which this position is a prerequisite

RECOMMENDED TRAINING WHICH SUPPORTS DEVELOPMENT OF KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS

• Human Factors in the Wildland Fire Service (L-180)
  • Introduction to Wildland Fire Behavior (S-190)

I looked through the Job Aid and its date makes it obsolete. It refers to pre 2010 ICS Forms that have been replaced, doesn’t address the current issues with the ICS 206 form and the medical plan and what is going on. Very little help in today’s world.

I would strongly suggest you contact your department CICCS person and tell them you are interested. Positions need to be filled but the bureaucratic maze is alive. Hope this helps.

7 Likes

The J in J-158 stands for Job Aid. There is no class for the task book. Look up the job aid and read over it. If you are local government in Ca you will just need to record the date you complete the job aid for your application to the CICCS committee. Some organizations have put together a class for RADO but they are not usually advertised on open to outside personnel.

3 Likes