Just a little laugh...

OlderThanWildlandDirtQuiz~Vers1~07sep21.pdf (130.4 KB)

8 Likes

Not only do I remember most all of them, I have a P-38 on my key ring now, and I have quite a few of those items on that list now. :cowboy_hat_face:, :shushing_face:

3 Likes

I recall an incident where 2 Type 6’s and a Type 3 (all 4WD) needed assistance from a dozer with mud tracks on a rainy winter day. T-6 #1 loaded up the tires and was done. T-6 #2 laughed and figured he’d just get in there an give him a tug. T-3 # 3 decided he was smarter than everyone and would save the day.

HFEO had the last laugh…

Everyone got schooled that day.

4 Likes

Gotta ask, the only one I didn’t know and can’t seem to find online. What is/was a “Barron Tool?”

1 Like

Was the Barron Tool rather like a single sided McLeod but the working edge being a section of a sickle bar?

2 Likes

Like an Adze? Or like a council tool with no points? On another note, do they still use Brush Hooks? I remember those bad boys! Then again in '75 we wore blue jeans and carrying a shelter was kinda optional most of the time. It was good to sit on since it was nice and flat and wide.

2 Likes

The barron tool was part scraping tool, part raking tool and also had a long metal shank which allowed you to pull flaming material along to use as a firing tool. It had a handle much like the McCleod but the head was lighter and was angled somewhat.

5 Likes

Barron tool Also known as the California Tool

3 Likes

Well, crud. I guess I missed my perfect score on the test. Unless I saw a picture, I can’t seem to remember that at all. My Internet searches aren’t helping much either. I wonder if I get out my old “Principles of Forest Fire Management” it would be in there.

1 Like

spent half an hour trying to find a picture or even mention of a barron tool on google. No luck. These were common when I joined forestry in 1968. most of the time they sat in the tool bin, but some engines still carried them.

3 Likes

California Barron Tool was much like a McLeod Fire Tool scraping tool. It has an approximately 15" steel shank that protected the smaller angled head. Was designed for dragging fire in light fuels like grass and pine needles. Gaylor~Wildfires~BarronTool~08sep21.pdf (427.9 KB)

5 Likes

7 Likes

FireHawkC3100, Thank you! Okay, we probably had a couple but I don’t remember. I’ll take the 19 out of 20 on the test. It was worth it being able to call someone “elder” like I can; it looks like captain71 was on the job about 8 years prior to me!

And that font sure looks like it came from one of the books I have, circu 70’s or so.

3 Likes

It looks like it might be a structure protection assignment - critical life-saving asset (tower) protection. :grin:

3 Likes

The last time I used Barron Tool was on a rubbish fire in the 90’s. Does anyone still carry one of these on their engine ? I think the Barron Tool falls in the same catogory as the brush/Strap hook. OBSOLETE!
Side note: when I ran crew I carried 17 brush hooks…I used them when I needed to get their attention. I good crew can cut a lot of line with this tool.

4 Likes

A brush hook never runs out of gas or throws a chain, And the production on my crew usually slowed down when the saws got quiet

3 Likes

The brush hook solved the chain throwing problem!!! A week on grade with hooks and just like that chains seem to stay on the saws.

6 Likes

Chief, I don’t remember all of them but I do some and I still have a P-38 on my key chain.

3 Likes

I can’t claim to have been strictly a wildland firefighter…I think today we call that “all-risk.” But I can claim to be older than dirt. We carried a bunch of Barron tools and 5 gallon pump tanks on an engine built up from a 1943 military surplus 6x6. It had two huge hand powered hose reels on top.

Since much of our wildland was grass, we also carried large wire brooms. The person with the pump tank would reduce the flame length to a foot or so, and the other person would sweep the fire into the black.

I think the Barron tools were mostly replaced with McLeods, which are a bit heavier, especially on the head end.

4 Likes

Lost my real metal P-38 at airport check in after 911, forgot to throw keys in bag. Screener thought I might attach someone or something with the little point on the end. Do have another one but it is the cheap pop metal and not as strong. And yes I do remember all there, thanks Chief

3 Likes