Lineup?

When did the term “lineup” start in reference to an aviation response. I’m a traditionalist and it doesn’t seem to be in line with with fire service terminology. I have never heard it called a “lineup” during my time in aviation. It is simply a “response” or “IA aircraft”. Maybe I have missed something in the changing of terms and maybe it’s me that needs to get with the times. But it seems as though at one point, someone used the term and it sounded cool so right or wrong, it continued to be used.

I am assuming you’re referring to me as I usually post the “line up” piece. I think you’re taking it out of context as I simply state the aircraft that’s assigned. The IA aircraft is null in void if it goes beyond IA; which happens when one additional asset is ordered off the “IA” response. As far as “response” goes, I could easily change it from line up to response. Feel free to send me a direct message and we can chat.

MOD-FJ

2 Likes

It’s not a biggie. It definitely conveys the information. Perhaps “response” is more accurate as it also captures the changing of aircraft once it goes beyond IA and captures the ever changing aircraft scenario. “Assigned” aircraft often break away to respond to IA, as those are the priorities once an incident goes extended. As you are aware the only times aircraft are on a “no divert” is under a life threat situation. Often this may involve structure loss and due to the high potential of first responders or citizens being involved in that scenario, often a “no divert” is called. Feel free to use “line up” as you like, just thought I would bring it up, no offense meant.

2 Likes

No offense taken, this is great discussion! Have a good weekend.

3 Likes

I love hearing the word “line up” takes me back to when we did this on the radio every morning with dispatch, “El Cariso Hotshots Line Up, Bertek plus 19”…LFG

5 Likes