Mega fire

I noticed the term “Mega Fire” being used for the bootleg in oregon. With fires that sadly go 100,000 plus acres on a regular basis. Since we burned over a million acres in a single complex last year, shouldn’t the term “Mega Fire” be adjusted to our new scope of fires.

4 Likes

It’s used by the interagency fire center and scary sounding words get clicks and viewers for media unfortunately, hence the reason we are hearing terms like mega fire and the use of the word explode to describe even the smallest of fires, saw an article locally that said a fire exploded to 2 acres before being contained.

Any fire over 100k now even if it burned 50 years ago is called a mega fire. I don’t remember any of the biguns in the last 10 years getting called mega fires until very recently.

4 Likes

“Blow up” is another really overused term.

4 Likes

I am tired of hearing about fire tornadoes. The media over reports them and everyone thinks there something new. Climate change. Us old timers have seen them for years, we just didn’t have the phones to record them.

5 Likes

Well stated reheo, many of us old timers were busy putting out those fires and have seen it all.

I remember the Crank Fire back in 1987 the afternoon a microburst.
https://wildfiretoday.com/2013/05/18/video-of-burnover-on-the-1987-crank-fire/

1 Like

That was some crazy scary footage. Glad I never got that close to a situation like that😲

Another overused term “supertanker”.

1 Like

Speaking of air tankers, the media’s perception that air resource put fires out. Especially in SoCal.

4 Likes

Boots on the ground!

2 Likes

Which has spread amongst the public such that ONLY the VLATs and most specifically, the 747, can put fires out. The obsession with the 747 is crazy…

4 Likes

“Firestorm” seems to be the phrase every 7 to 10 years.

2 Likes

True blue! Ok was that a funny

I don’t disagree that air is critical on AI. As fires get bigger they are less effective. I have seen thousands of miles of retardant lines that have burnt through without boots on the ground.

Just remember it’s the worst fire season ever…since every previous years worst fire season ever.

7 Likes