Miami Lookout closing

To all of you who have followed this FB page, we thank you for your interest and support. The following is self-explanatory.
After more than two years of discussions with representatives of the Sierra National Forest and specifically with the leadership of the Bass Lake Ranger District, we have decided that the Miami Lookout Group will no longer be staffing Miami. As most of you are aware, beginning with the COVID pandemic years starting in 2020, the Forest has intimated that closure is coming sooner than later from their perspective. In 2020 we had to institute thorough cleaning requirements due to the unknowns of virus transmission at that time. Then a couple of major wind storms during the winters resulted in the loss of the lightning protection system as well as portions of the roof. It was not until July of 2022 that we could staff again following the replacement of the roof with metal and a new lightning system installation. As those repairs were underway the change in leadership of the Bass Lake District set forth new directions for staffing of the lookout. At first it was to be weekends only and now it is Federal Holiday weekends only. During the lead-up to the 2022 season, we made a very strong effort to recruit and train new people as staffers. The response was more than we anticipated and we are very grateful for it. We trained 12 people, but unfortunately the timing was such that no one has been able to staff on their own. I am truly sorry of that but so thankful that they showed amazing interest in serving the public on a volunteer basis.
Some of the reasons given by the Forest for limiting the staffing days which has resulted in this decision are as follows:

1. Direction from the head of the Forest Service in Washington D.C. that they are moving toward new technologies including cameras and drones, thereby lessening the need for live eyes in towers.
  2. It is becoming more difficult to recruit staffers.
  3. At times mistakes are made in the reporting of smokes that requires unnecessary responses.
  4. With the upgrading of the interior a few years ago, the lookout lost its’ historic designation and therefore the building no longer is of value to the Forest.
    All of these concerns as well as others, can be rebutted with sensible responses. It is evident to us that the Forest will be shuttering the lookout regardless of our efforts. We believe the work involved to prepare for only 20 days of staffing for the entire season is not practical. It is very apparent that whatever we do will not forestall the permanent closure beginning in 2024.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid0269ddm5TTNG1a3aa3nXAZX9NjGJNo9W9AmdyVtWFKbfF1Tn1mvRy5Ybi83UQKsHE9l&id=100068986463101&mibextid=Nif5oz

Just like other permanently closed FS lookouts it will fall into disrepair because the FS will not spend money on the upkeep of a closed lookout. They put cameras there so they see no need for a human there, and the closure is also partly related urbanization of the area and residents or general public passing through will(might)report any fires. Its just like what happened with black mountain near Prather and deadwood near Oakhurst. they still staff Mt Tom, Delilah, fence meadow, shut eye, pilot peak, so why not staff maimi since it looks into parts of the forest and Yosemite that can’t be seen by shut eye peak.

5 Likes

I’m surprised because they just did a bunch of repairs.

1 Like

hope they at least put a cam up there. We all know the history of Metcalf Gap and the Harlow fire.

1 Like

There is a camera up there but it needs to be repaired .

1 Like

Other forests have had other organizations take over staffing of the lookouts under volunteer programs. They have been very beneficial for most of the reasons stated above. Here’s a link to one of those programs. Fire Lookouts in Southern California Mountains | SCMF just an idea if the forest would support the partnership…but not need to provide the funds.

2 Likes

it’s already staffed by volunteers and there’s a Miami Mountain Lookout Type of Association for it as well. FYI Buckrock Lookout has a foundation organization as well.

of note… it actually didn’t even open in 2021 due to damage and needing a new roof including the lightning rod I believe. then In 2022 it didn’t open until very late in the season and was only open for a few weeks due to the repairs. The Ponderosa Basin community is already coming together to see what they can do. One particular family there is heavily involved with the lookout having had 2 or 3 generations volunteered as lookouts and they have taken our boy scouts up there on numerous occasions for various types of field trips my son included. I don’t think this is the last we’ll here about this.

4 Likes
1 Like

I had a feeling we hadn’t heard the last of that situation. I think I’m going to write an article for Sierra News Online and ask some questions.

3 Likes

Gee whiz, couldn’t they rent it out like an Airbnb? They did that with a lot of lookouts in Oregon. I’d like to read your article.

2 Likes