Move up and Cover Thread 2018

Use this area for discussion on movement of equipment throughout the state.

4 Likes

OK, I just heard Placer tone out one OES engine to move up to the Bank Street hotel in grass valley as part of 4114A, preposition. At least I think that was the strike team number.

What is the purpose of this preposition?

I would assume it is precautionary due to the the red flag warnings.
https://www.weather.gov/sto/

1 Like

Any thoughts on why they’d (OES333) would be called immediate need just for station coverage?

Maybe someone with enough clout to influence such decisions got nervous… just a guess…

1 Like

The red flag isn’t even for the low country where the houses are, it is for the mountains. I suppose it could be to cover Truckee/Tahoe and yet not be too isolated from the rest of the state.

It’s not station coverage, the stations are all staffed around here to the best of my knowledge.

1 Like

It appears to be a Pre Positioning assignment to the XED, similar to the one last month to the XPL. XSA sent 3 T1 OES up there tonight, not sure who is filling out the rest of the order.

Things are a little thin in the XSA right now since we just sent 2 Swift Water Teams to Hurricane Florence, on top of the 18 engines and 16 misc overhead that are out.

Stay Safe

that a boy, get some… quite the change in XSA…

If Winters was dispatched as “immediate need” then I would expect that it was an oops in dispatch because I know 334 was dispatched as planned need. The strike team is Grass Valley, South Placer, Roseville, Winters, and one other that I didn’t catch. It also has OES WT-42 attached to it as a single resource from Nevada County. Grass Valley Capt Bundy is the STEN

9330C from MVU enroute to cover BDU

Believe it was Woodbridge-383

1 Like

For many years, CAL FIRE has had a mechanism to up-staff and/or move- up resources in advance of predictable events. Although local government makes up >80% of resources on major incidents, there has not been a means to pre-position LG resources. A coalition was established after the Tubbs Fire to modernize the Mutual Aid System. More info can be found at:
http://www.d-risc.org/

1 Like

This was pre-position for Nevada County, OES 4814 A assigned.

Any chance you could cite your source for this?

1 Like

Are there any other counties pre-positioning or pre-deploying strike teams today? XCC has a pre-assembled Charlie ST who is “covering” in county…

OES type 3 S/T in Yolo today

1 Like

They are moving a S/T of the OES T-3’s from Sacramento to Woodland? What is that going to gain maybe a
45 minutes to an incident on the west side of the valley? Does not seem to be the most fiscally sound move IMHO.

45 min is huge if you just need a few more engs

3 Likes

Correct me if I’m wrong, a pre-positioned strike team is available to roll code 3 within 3 minutes of dispatch. Pretty much the same as an engine rolling out of the bay from tone-out. A pre-positioned team is now already formed up as a team, all 5 engines and the STL in one location, and positioned strategically, in this case outside of Sac Metro traffic and in a spot where it can instantly commit to I5, 505, 80, 20, 99.

10 Likes