MVU becoming SDU

Just a friendly FYI for the upcoming fire season. On March 1, 2022 Monte Vista Ranger Unit (MVU) will become San Diego Ranger Unit (SDU). The ECC and radio call sign will now be “San Diego” as well. After March 1,2022 use SDU for the unit ID for starting fire threads.

18 Likes

Sure is nice that they haven’t sent out a message to all their cooperating fire partners. Have to rely on a web site to let people know.

5 Likes

Thanks for the heads up. I have often wondered why this RU did not have a county reference like all of the other ranger units in the state.

Might want to double check on the dates. I heard they will start using the “San Diego” call sign March 1st but the SDU identification hasn’t been approved, with a estimate date of 1/2023 to start.

3 Likes

The E-Mail I read only referenced March 1, 2022. It did not differentiate between the radio call sign San Diego and the unit ID SDU/MVU. I am not a Cal Fire Employee so maybe the E MAIL I received was not as detailed. I’m simply passing on what I read. If someone from MVU could verify that would be great.

1 Like

The 2021 California Interagency Mobilization Guide gives one insight to ECC identifiers and jurisdictions. Many are not by called by County name.

1 Like

So only on the radio will it be San Diego, MVU will remain ICS ID through 2022. Approx Jan 1, 2023 MVU would change to SDU. There are so many places that mvu is used in finance, personnel, IT, reporting and more that it will be a fair amount of background work. It’s been on the table for years, with San Diego City switching to “Metro” call, it started this moving forward. With 25 years in the ECC this will be bumpy this year, in 2 years will not even be on the top 10

6 Likes

I agree. Being retired from the MVU ECC, there will be a lot of books, manuals, forms and programming to change/update. Hopefully it can get done before the proposed implementation date.

1 Like

It still won’t be as bad as when CDF changed to Cal fire.

2 Likes

So as of today the call sign is San Diego when hailing the ECC. As reported MVU is still the unit ID until further. It will become SDU in the near future.

2 Likes

The end of feud that goes back to the 1950’s and 60’s between Division of Forestry and San Diego County managers. Unbelievable that it took this long.

3 Likes

Until recently the ECDC for San Diego City was referred to as San Diego Dispatch. When San Diego Dispatch went to Metro ECDC that allowed MVU to use the San Diego name.