New Book Relevant to the Wildland Firefighting Community: Embers of Confidence

Thank you for your consideration, the author is a a good friend and coach of mine. The book is called, “Embers of Confidence: How I Trained Three Female Smokejumpers”

"Meet Heidi, Sierra, and Cam, three determined female wildland firefighters on an extraordinary quest to become smokejumpers. Experienced strength coach and first-time author, Fritz Nugent, tells the story of how he prepared them to survive the rigors of rookie training—one of the most physically demanding and male-dominated professions on the planet (97% male).

Embers of Confidence is a slow-burning ride of emotionally fraught excitement, unveiling scalpel-detailed training, and surprisingly humorous moments that will leave you laughing out loud. The women faced grueling challenges—each with their own unique physical and mental limits that were pushed to the brink. As their journeys unfold toward rare and impressive feats, you’ll be inspired to embrace your own personal and professional challenges, seeking profound meaning in every endeavor.

Immerse yourself in their triumphs and tribulations and ignite your passion for adventure and personal growth—especially in a time when the world needs you to soar higher than ever before."

5 Likes

in 1986 I was attending some LE training at Redding at the Hotshot base which I guess also served Smokejumpers. On breaks we could go out and see some of the stuff they were doing including jumping out of the fuselage of some aircraft mounted on a tower and riding a sort of zipline thing to the ground. Whenever they would goof up some element of the jump, some guy would come over and admonish them, leading to the errant jumper removing their helmet and cranking out pushups. I recall one jumper getting admonished and being surprised at the long blond hair (and pretty face!) that was revealed. So there have been females in the ranks for awhile…just not many I guess.

2 Likes