North Ops too busy to really update News and Notes?

I have to cut them some slack because it must be chaotic there, but anyone notice they tend to just cut and paste from earlier updates at times like this. Some they don’t bother changing at all. Mendocino Complex is claimed to have grown 4,000 acres today.

Both GAACs are the same. It’s one persons job to update that and it’s frustrating for those of us who rely on their information. It’s been that way for years too.

Agreed. Deciphering wheat from chaff from daily 209s has always been an art form anyway. I cut them slack for being late, but putting out wrong info diminishes the whole intel section’s credibility.

Really??? First off this should be posted in Q&D. Secondly having worked S. Ops for a few years in my career let me say things can get a bit hectic at times especially during large sieges. It happens. Maybe you could call them or if close enough stop by and ask what they aren’t doing their job correctly? :wink: Mods please move this to Q&D…

My apologies for wrong posting. My apologies for making you defensive. Otherwise, I think I’m good. I have a little experience doing that also.

This is the time of the year where the staff of North ops should be working 16 hour days and making sure the most up-to-date info is quickly disseminated to the masses. Anything less is unacceptable.
The troops are working to the bone, the communities are coming together and doing everything they can to support, so the brass in a/c buildings need to fill in their responsibilities. May seem crass…but times like these require the best out of everyone.

3 Likes

Guys I understand the need for info to properly flow. I’ve been on both sides of the fence in my 30+ year career. As far as N. Ops being staffed 16 hours a day? I’m quite sure it’s staffed 24/7 right now as well as S. Ops to a degree supporting N. Ops needs. It’s not a perfect world folks. If it was we wouldn’t be seeing injuries and fatalities.

I can’t count the number of times as a Duty Officer I’ve been called by people wanting info on incidents. Many were not even assigned, simply waiting and wanting to be called. I’ve gotten to the point of screening calls or not even answering those types as it took me away from my mission duties. There’s been times some things weren’t done in a timely or acceptable manner due to personal issues. The list is long just like in the field.

There was a time in the last week even I had some concerns regarding a team fire near me. I emailed the PIO listed on Inciweb with my concerns and within minutes I received a thorough reply and thanked them.

If you feel so strongly that a a particular GACC is not operating to certain standards maybe contact your agency higher ups and ask them to address your concerns with the appropriate GACC. Public forum posts will not get the job done.

Keep in mind the primary function (not the only one of course) is the GACC is in support of the incident and its needs. Info should flow well I agree, but there are times it doesn’t and many times there is a justifiable reason. I can give you a plate full of reasons, many justifiable, but still wouldn’t satisfy some. It’s the real world. GACC’s are also responsible for many other things such as move up and cover and the list is very long.

I’m not saying you do not deserve info to flow properly at all, but sometimes it doesn’t for reason. We all want that. The workload increase 10 fold when the GACC personnel get calls all day long from those not even assigned, but wanting assignments, or asking for updates. Just puts more of a strain on an already stressful situation. Reminds me of those on forums who 3 minutes after a current update is posted, someone then asks is there any updates? :confused:

RedRider imagine the folks on the ground without those folks in the A/C buildings meeting their needs. Come on man it’s a team effort… Those folks always take the heat for Incidents not getting the resources or aircraft they need, when it’s not their fault and the list is long. Having worked both sides of the fence I can honestly say I have a bit more respect for the GACC’s and what they do. Need to lighten up. If anyone feels so strongly their GACC isn’t operating up to standards simply have your agency contact the appropriate GACC and address those issues. Public forum posts and berating them won’t get it done. I’ve seen many of field personnel coem thru the GACC on assignments who left with a different attitude., self included. I’ve said my “peace”. Everyone stay safe!

6 Likes

What I would also suggest is posting your actual name and not just a user name. That way, if you are in the fire service, they can track you down to give you the information you are looking for and ask for any suggestions on how better to run their shop.

In all honesty, don’t do that. GACC’s do pay some attention to what’s posted in here, as well as PIO’s on these incidents.

Firedude is right about the correct way to go about things. Most of us are just tired of going to these forums and reading posts about how bad such and such is run. If you feel like an organization is not doing their jobs, please feel free to put your actual name down. No one respects a telephone tough guy

3 Likes

Agreed with the two posts above. The Monday morning QB’s and needless interagency bickering is what killed the last site. Let’s not have this one devolve the same way. One team one fight.

2 Likes