PG&E 2019

Hand clearing around 60 kV lines like I have never seen before. Replaced a bunch of poles in this area also. This has been going on since before the major fire(s). This was just a quick shot out the window. Much more to come in this area.

I would have to walk up there and see the ground. If that is cleared to mineral soil it must present a considerable erosion problem. I live at the head of a major primary power transmission corridor and the outfit here clears the vegetation below their lines but the fuel loading produced is simply scattered on the ground. This reduces erosion concerns but does nothing to reduce the potential for fire ignition and spread. This condition actually increases the period of time those dead fuels exist in a very high to extreme fire threat category. Regrowth through that dead and down fuel increases the resistance to control by making navigating the slope arduous at best. It becomes necessary to establish anchor points some distance from the edge and takes considerable time to cut escape routes.

In addition if that ground is cleared the vegetation will be back in short order. I am just guessing this shot is somewhere in California foot hills, west side of the Sierras below 3,000 foot elevation. (not willing to put any money on that though). 10 to 15 years that vegetation will have to be treated again or herbicides used to reduce the regrowth. 20-25 years it will be ready to burn again (totally climate driven numbers). You want soil or herbicides or both in your creeks (aka drinking water)? My guess that line is on private property and a secondary distribution line but I have no formal training in that arena.

It’s not mineral soil. But they took just about everything bigger than grass. From the distant view it looks like they chipped and left the chips in the ROW as well. I don’t see how it really changes the ignition potential either. And as you can see, at least in this picture, the brush was not overhanging the wires at all. In 2 years there will be a nice carpet of toyon and manzanita to replace what was cut.

Vegetation management is tough in the foothills! I just saw a 42" pine stump in Paradise that was 50 years old. The Camp Fire hauled ass across land that burned to a crisp 10 years ago. I’m not sure how many times CDC crews have cut the fuelbreak along Highway 32 between Chico and Forest Ranch in the last 20 years, but I bet it’s more than 5.

1 Like

To come to a solution one must identify the problem clearly.

I intentionally did not mention the power company that services the area I used as an example of vegetation management below power lines. The practice is wide spread and not unique to any one company,

Name calling and personal affronts kill true communications.

As for my perfection, I know far better than you my imperfections. I do reject any attempt to define me by any complete stranger. Your input is revealing but I will suppress the desire to come to a conclusion based on that input. Wrong venue for that discussion. Thank you

2 Likes

Come on folks, let’s not erode this very important topic into personal attacks. We all have a vested interest in seeing that something is done to reduce the ignition sources along with impacts to the civilian population when they do. We all have differing viewpoints, experience and knowledge. Attacking individuals on this forum does nothing to address the issues that we face nor does it help resolve the issues at hand

5 Likes

Well Said…There is enough Discontent in the World already…

2 Likes