PG&E Hiring Firefighters?

PG&E Picking up Firefighter starting fire brigade.

Well played pg&e. I do believe that’s $13 more an hour, than Cal fire captains hourly wages. …

I believe I heard 25 type 6 engines.

Apparently a assembly bill exists that says it’s illegal for a company to contract out fire safety. I haven’t found anything about it but I wouldn’t be surprised. I’ll stay with the state. Thanks anyway PG&E.

I know guys that got their foot in the door (experience) with engine crews in SoCal AND made $bank$. Granted on a Type 6, but having something is better than nothing. State stretched thin enough as well as local gov, I don’t see how else but to contract out.

I’m curious as to what the pay is like. Good pay for a new kid looking to get experience? Good pay for a retired FF?? I’m wondering if they’ll be around during campaign fires (prompting the argument of private apparatus liability issues, again). Sounds like safety/project work during the day.

1 Like

I bet we will be loosing some fed firefighters to them.

1 Like

Not sure one would want to make a career decision with a company entering into bankruptcy. Maybe retired or new to the biz but a Fed, State or Local you’re gambling. The job might not even exist in a year.

3 Likes

A judge has to approve hiring. These jobs are not going anywhere any time soon. They’re priority. Along with the drone program. Perfect for those who can retire around 47-53 and have years left until the ss penalty kicks in at 57.

Fed pay is so far out of wack at most levels, from entry level to Captain + and now in a growing number of states. Wake up Vallejo.

2 Likes

Have people done interviews for this already and when are they planning on hiring?

I have experience with PG&E and this exact position they’re hiring for. So my company(private) was contracted by PG&E in 2018 to provide 30+ type 6 engines for protection of their infrastructure. What that meant was patrolling power lines while PG&E crews did hot work or during red flag warnings events. We were not meant to go to campaign fires unless it was to protect PG&E assets. So you’re basically in a type 6 engine,One Driver Operator and one Captain, doing stand by work Ina set location all over PG&E’s scope. From experience, it was really freaking boring because 90 percent of the time power lines are de-energized. Theres also the issue with State/Feds not knowing who the fuck we were(that was a whole other issue). Anyway, for whatever reason they dropped us and went in house. No doubt the pay and union benefits is great, but if you’re just starting out in fire, you won’t be getting what a real firefighter will get from the Feds/state, you will get paid handsomely though. I feel like this job might be good for those looking for more money or maybe retired captains.

6 Likes