PG&E says it will bury 10,000 miles of line

Not sure what gets finished first…this project, or California’s high speed rail system??

12 Likes

Haha…I laugh, but that shouldn’t even be a question :man_facepalming:

6 Likes

So the answer to our fuels problem is to pay more for electricity?

4 Likes

Everybody ready for $50.00 per KwH rates?

1 Like

Shoulda been done 20 years ago as the infrastructure started deteriorating.

Either $50 KwH now or $100 KwH in 2031. This concept has been discussed for a long time.

Solar and wind sound great but excess electricity produced must be able to be sold back to PG&E at fair market value. I don’t think that’s happening.

What other solution do you have?

1 Like

The infrastructure has been in place as-is for 100 years in many cases.

Trees fell and fires burned but nobody used to sue PG&E about it. Look up the Mountain House Fire in the 1950s near Camptonville, hopefully somebody has more info on it than me but I believe it was started by PGE and nobody thought to sue them when it was all over.

Ignitions will happen, they are just doing it to cover themselves from this modern strict liability concept.

It would be interesting to know who the stock holders are also. I have been told it is a lot of pension funds and individual retirees because they were thought so stable until recently. In other words, you and I are their ownership.

3 Likes

Two things: 1.) PG&E chose to not upgrade their infrastructure which leads to point 2.) Based upon their current track record of not properly maintaining infrastructure, what would lead anyone to conclude that undergrounding the distribution lines will change anything?

And let’s not forget that with the notable exception of the Dixie, the majority of the major fires including the Kincade and Camp were caused by transmission line equipment failures which transmission lines do not appear to be a part of the initiative.

4 Likes

Inverse condemnation, inconsistent forest management strategies, increasing population growth in the interface, an ever-more-litigious society, well-intended but problematic environmental regulations, bureaucratic ineptitude, lack of defensible space, frequent human error, occasional gross negligence from various parties, abundant red tape, public expectation of <99.999% grid uptime, bark beetles, blame-shifting, and INSERT FAVORITE SCAPEGOAT OR ISSUE DU JOUR HERE have combined into this huge mess that isn’t being made better by the folks in Sac or DC that could and should be doing something about it.

Kinda feels like some of those folks need to find themselves an “unskilled laborer” or three to help them remove their heads from the dark, smelly places they’re in to take diligent strides to resolve the above issues.

Energy production and delivery is, by its very nature, a hazardous and fire-prone industry, and the increasingly polarized and all-too-often incompetent Powers That Be — on all sides — need to do better.

9 Likes

When hell freezes over. 3 Billion a year projected for under grounding, it would take many years. PG&E doesnt have the assets to cover the yearly cost. Sr. Management should research it before they open their mouths. Shear panic mode I imagine.

2 Likes

VERY WELL STATED SIR!!!

1 Like