Possible Arsonist Caught

I looked for the fires mentioned to attach this to but could not find them on here and I did not want to insert a tangent on the Dixie Fire thread even though it was prominently mentioned in the article.

With the caveat that all are assumed innocent until proven guilty (or mentally impaired)…

College professor held in wildland arson spree near California’s massive Dixie Fire

https://www.sacbee.com/news/local/article253403045.html

You might have to read it in incognito mode (paywalled).

7 Likes

I always like to see this!

1 Like

Sad to see the alleged mentally unstable land on the jail side before they could find help on the other side and avoid all this. Especially bipolar/split personalities.

Glad to see Prevention have what appears to be a solid case and the cause of these fires off the streets. Always a huge undertaking for agents and glad to see they can score a win. Strong work!

6 Likes

Butte Prevention LEO’s have had a pretty busy year, good work

1 Like

Yes absolutely, I just like when the arsonists get caught. I didn’t read the article until after I posted!

Appears to be USFS LEO case, calfire prevention doesn’t file to US Federal Courts.

1 Like

Another link to the story that is not behind a paywall.

Good job FS.

1 Like

Wildfire Today:

Maynard faces up to 20 years in a prison and a $250,000 fine for each of the three counts of arson on federal property, the U.S. Justice Department said in a press release following his plea on Thursday; sentencing is set for May. He was charged with setting four fires — Cascade, Everitt, Ranch, and Conard — and under the plea agreement he admitted to three of the four counts.

LA Times:

New York Magazine:

This is a cultural piece, published before his plea, with interviews of people who knew him, details of his personal history and discussion of clues and allegations, from those interviewed, of other crimes he may have committed, or attempted to commit, including arsons, destruction of property, extortion, terroristic threats and assault. It also describes some of the evidence obtained from his car, including recorded threats, rants and manifestos.

Its clear that he was conscious of guilt as events were unfolding. The weight of evidence against him is overwhelming with regard to starting the fires and trying to get away with it, but somewhat less strong that he specifically intended to entrap firefighters or is criminally liable for the COVID deaths that occurred.

3 Likes