Prayers to Amentum employees.

In regards to the HUU plane crash. I just wanted to add some context to this. The news reported them as “contractors”. They are much more than that to aviation personnel in CAL FIRE. They are who keeps CAL FIRE aviation in the air. They are a crucial part of CAL FIRE.

Rest in peace brothers

22 Likes

Thank you for the context, it matters and their service for sure mattered! T’s & P’s to their families! #neverforgotten

6 Likes

Has there been any official release of information yet? Redheaded Blackbelt indicates the information is still unofficial.

2 Likes

There was an email sent out last night from the Director to all employees so yes it’s official.

7 Likes

Can someone post the email from the director? Even a redacted version, although I know what happened many may not know the event had even occurred

2 Likes

Passing of Amentum Aviation Employees
July 23, 2024

Sent: Tuesday, July 23, 2024
To: All CalFire Mailboxes
Subject: Passing of Amentum Aviation Employees
All,
It is with great sadness that I inform you of the passing of two of our Amentum colleagues, Pilot Gabe Kulp and Mechanic Thomias Smith, who tragically lost their lives Tuesday morning at approximately 11:09am in an aviation accident while attempting to land at the Kneeland Airport in Humboldt County. The National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) has been notified and will be conducting a thorough investigation into the incident.
Although the employees were not assigned to a CAL FIRE incident, it is important to recognize the vital role they play in supporting CAL FIRE’s Aviation Program. I want to thank the Humboldt Del Norte Unit, Incident Management Team 2, Northern Region Staff and our Aviation and Fire Protection Program Staff who have experienced another tragic loss. Your professionalism, and respect for the deceased throughout this process is appreciated beyond words.
In honor of their memory and service, I have authorized flags to be flown at half-staff and badges to be shrouded within the Humboldt Del Norte Unit, Aviation Management Unit (AMU) and Tactical Air Operations (TAO). For any media inquiries regarding this incident, please direct them to the NTSB.
Please join me in keeping our Amentum family and the families of the deceased in your thoughts and prayers during this difficult time.

Joe Tyler
Director/Fire Chief
715 P St., Sacramento, CA. 95814

8 Likes

I knew Gabe. He was a business associate, very punctual and reliable. His shop is kitty corner to mine at the GV airport (GVAAB)

https://www.linkedin.com/in/gabe-kulp-2303b523b/

7 Likes