Private resources call out frustration

This is my first ever post on this forum (I’ve been a regular tho, to get fire info about places in Cali that matter to me and my family). What frustrates me, knowing “insider” details like what you good folks share and discuss, is that I’ve had friends and a family member lose everything to NorCal wildfires in the last few years. In Middletown (Valley Fire), Lower Lake (Clayton - started on what used to be my gf’s ranch, and Rocky Fires), Redwood Valley (Mendo-Lake Complex), Santa Rosa (Tubbs Fire).

Good people like you are waiting to get called up and go to work with your equipment and crew/s. People are losing their lives, homes, and more. Lake County was my home for 26 yrs, and I’m glad I moved to IA in 2008, now that wildfire season is year-round and insane, and the entire county’s gonna be one big ash heap soon, lol.

And here is what was published in the Sacramento Bee today, regarding the Mendocino Complex:

With so many fires burning, including the massive Carr Fire in Redding, Cal Fire said it was having trouble getting enough fire engines, bulldozers and personnel to the area.

“Resources throughout the state are stretched so thin,” said Cal Fire spokesman Brandon Vaccaro. A total of 820 personnel were working on the fires, according to Cal Fire.

Why aren’t they calling you guys up to go out to fight the fire/s if that statement’s actually true?

Read more here: https://www.sacbee.com/news/state/california/fires/article215730120.html#storylink=cpy

Valid question…but…

Because someone owns a firearm, does the military throw you into battle?

Because you own a chainsaw, can you cut any tree.

Because you have a driver’s license, can you navigate the tri- oval at Las Vegas?

There are processes, systems and often times, specific needs for resources, not just a water tender. Where the Carr is headed BIG iron and 4x4 short wheelbase tender is probably going to be specific needs.

Trust folks…there IS a method to the madness. Just stay up on what’s going on, keep reloading the ice in the chest, be ready when the call does drop and lastly…

Please remember that there are many many peoople looking to this website ( civilian and professional) and the like for fire updates, evacuations, etc. The color and tone of a discussion like this may not be understood by those outside the circles.

7 Likes

Well put. And don’t forget the old adage “don’t put all your eggs in one basket”. Right now there is another fire breaking… there is a need to keep a smattering of immediate need equipment scattered about the state.

I am a trained fireman and have worked contract wildland Fire for years. Please don’t lump me in with the weekend warriors.

No, the quote is confusing. This is regarding getting resources into the River Fire area, west of Lakeport. The CalFire guy was saying it’s difficult because Carr needs so much resources, that they can’t get them for Lake County. Yes, the terrain up at Carr is big, steep, and rough, much moreso than where the Mendo complex fires are.

I wasn’t trying to be disrespectful to anyone or any agency with my question, but I’m seeing 2 different things going on that were/are direct opposites, and kinda illogical. I appreciate and admire all of the hard work, skills, and expertise of everyone involved, from top rung to bottom rung, just to be clear.

And yes, I’m aware many people want info, with varying awareness of the difficulties/technicalities/mechanics of firefighting and resources used for that. I’m more aware than most of the “general public”.

But thanks, for your answer, I’ll just stop now and move on to following the fire as it closes in on Lakeport. I hope you all get called out to work the fires and make some income, help people, and all of you stay safe.

1 Like

That’s a very innacurate statement. The terrain our brother and sister are facing here is quite inhospitable. Steep drainages, terrible footing and heavy brush. There is a reason this area experiences so many fires, quite frankly it was built to burn.

1 Like

My original post was frustration over late call out of resources. They rolled the cal fire state list 2 times in the last 24 hours. We are all out on incident now.
Be safe Brothers and sisters

1 Like

Ok, look I apologized already. I’ll apologize now, again. I wasn’t intentionally trying to minimize anything. Please don’t interpret my written words the wrong way, since my tone of voice and the person behind them isn’t present in person with you all. I lived in Kelseyville and Lower Lake rural areas for 26 yrs. In my memory, the Carr area was rougher, bigger hills. Yes, between Hopland and Ke’ville it’s bad, it’s all steep and difficult all over NorCal.

I admire and am grateful for all you do, what everyone does. My Windows desktop background images are a slideshow with about 100 photos of you and the CalFire folks fighting last year’s wildfires. I fill my Facebook photo albums and timeline with them, and post updates on evacs and alerts, and the progress of the fight because I want people unfamiliar with wildfires to know what you all do to protect and save, rescue, and how brave you are. The planes, choppers, and VLATs, I’ve seen them in action and have always been in awe at those pilots’ and crews’ skill and bravery. I’ve seen them fly down narrow canyons that had my heart up in my throat and they dropped their retardant on a dime, and people watching, whose homes were in danger, cheered and jumped up and down. (The most memorable one was a canyon by Mt Baldy.) I cried when one of the VLATs crashed and the crew was killed a few years ago.

I knew a middle-aged man who voluntarily took his biggest dozer and cut a line between his place and his neighbors’, in the hills northeast of Lower Lake al the way to Hwy 20. It saved their homes and ranches until CalFire could get in there. “Bob” had instant access from their place and didn’t waste any time once the fire got going. That was before I moved to outside LL, but he and his wife told me the story of what he did.

Sorry I wasn’t trying to single you out. I was just trying to get back on topic. Agency guys and private resources

1 Like

Being a local gov guy, for years I could pretty much predict when we would get the call. The last few yrs all that went out the window. I don’t know what changed. maybe I lost my knack ? Last yr When Napa blew up we didn’t get the call. What the Hell? Then when Ventura happened, We got called ??? It can be frustrating. Everyone take a big breath, Its already been a long season with more to come. Be careful out there.

2 Likes

Iowa, Thanks for your support. I feel a brief correction is needed. None of the VLATs (Very Large Air Tanker) has crashed… (knock on wood) The VLAT category was invented for the super-sized new generation of air tankers such as the DC10 and the 747 which both carry 10K - 20,000 gallons. What you remember was probably a C130 or P2V, which in comparison carries about 3000. Those were both large, but wouldn’t qualify as a VLAT.