Question about response to Middle incident (CA-STF)

Not sure if this belongs in the incident Q&D so I will float this out here. I was kind of surprised no one has addressed the elephant in the room, so here goes … from my comfy critics chair in my air-conditioned abode, I followed the CalFire response (which seemed entirely appropriate) to the Middle incident on 22July to its …I guess, conclusion.

My question is how could any agency get so far into the response (up to and including the first CF engine crew having to hike in, while at the same time the CF air force was converging on the area) before discovering the fire was an attended Rx burn - with assets of the green army on scene? The heads-up from the Engine company/IC was that USFS was talking about the flare-up (apparently she must have been monitoring a USFS local net).

I know how busy the ECC can be and I am definitely not pointing fingers, but it seemed that at the very least a breakdown in Interagency communication occurred. I could go on with a rant, but I would like to hear others thoughts.

My sole reason for bringing this up is due to the safety risks that are involved in the heavy response and communication issues that were in play as well as those that could have been in-play had this been an actual out-of-control wildfire. Not to mention valuable assets are committed and thusly unavailable for other emerging incidents. Hopefully behind the scenes, some higher-up folks will address this at the appropriate levels. Anyone?

4 Likes

crickets …

1 Like

usfs didn’t have anyone on scene since the burn is in patrol status, once they got on scene I think they sorted things out pretty quickly.

4 Likes

Many, many years ago I was the USFS Prevention Patrol stationed at Dry Meadows. Unless the STF has added more engines since then, the CALFIRE engine from Skull Creek would have been the first engine on scene.

5 Likes

They were.

2 Likes

I’m not sure what the issue is here?

Report of smoke comes into the Command Center and a dispatch is made as determined on the response card (this includes aircraft). When suppression resources get on scene and determine this is interior burning on a prescribed fire, resources not need at scene are cancelled and returned to quarters.

This was a little more complicated as the ECCs for TCU and STF are not co-located (TCU ECC is in San Andreas and the STF ECC is located in Sonora.)

4 Likes

AA went on scene gave his ROC. Into a few more laps around the fire he stated it was near a Burn. He gave a Lat & Long after dropping the tankers. Unknown to him if it was last years burn, this years burn etc. IDK how many minutes into the fire AA was but he reported a FS pick up on an two track road near or on the edge of the fire. Heard AA call the pick up a couple times but no answer. Few more minutes went by and AA saw 4454 and guided them into the fire. SPI has some very large blocks of timber all over that area. Skull Creek is there for that reason. Unknown the exact location of the fire and the Timber values at risk you get a full TCU Wildland Dispatch.

On a side note that is not an easy area to get around in. Lots of big country between Beardsley and Big Trees.

5 Likes

It appears to me that the aggressive IA (both ground an air) to any reported vegetation fire is working very well. The increase in air (both fixed wing and rotary) resources has been impressive

9 Likes