Resource Availability

Hey Guys. I am a Cap in the eastern sierra. With all the new starts and continuing incidents, I have a lot of new guys asking me questions that I am unable to answer concerning Resource ordering and availability, etc. One example is we currently have a task force ready to go and we are available to south ops. Been sitting on our hands for two days. When the loyalton fire broke, all these guys are watching the threads saying they are low on resources, immediate needs that are not being filled, etc. They then start calling me and asking why we are not going to help, as we are close by. I tell them that is north ops and we are available to south ops, etc. I then get asked why we are not re-tasked to where the need is. I do not have solid answers for this and I feel I should. Any help would be appreciated.

2 Likes

The best thing you can do at the moment, is wait. Recognize that the Loyalton is a Federal and any LG resources are going to come off the CFAA Contract which follows a very defined process which includes, resource orders coming from the IMT to North Ops. North Ops will convene with the OES Region Chief for LG resources. Given the extreme amount of new starts throughout the entire State, the OES Region Chiefs will most likely brief the OES Command Team in Sac before anything is sent out. Also, keep in mind that the local OES and agency chiefs are well briefed on the weather event that is impacting the entire State and may well be reluctant to strip their equipment all that much.

One more thing, unless it is for a mutual aid IA situation, there are not going to be single increment resources ordered. Anything that is ordered for any incident in progress, cover assignment or pre-positioning will be in ST configuration.

5 Likes

You and your guys should contact your OES FIRE chief for your area. They can explain and are always willing to so., instead of a long text here. But it all comes down to locations and how resources are ordered. With all the new fires just breaking out there will be a large order of resources being put into the system as the day goes on. Right now, at this moment, every Agency can fill their requests with their own equipment and or borrowing from their " neighbor". It takes about 12 hours from the start of the lighting bust before open orders start being sent to North or South Ops or CAL OES, Fire and Rescue branch. Hope that help s sum what.

4 Likes

Thx for the response. I know the Agency chiefs are a little puckered with the weather and everything else going on. We just got tasked to the whale fire so we are on the way. I was just looking for some insight to give these guys some solid info. The system is a bit confusing.

2 Likes

When things ease up a bit, I would strongly recommend that you bring your OES ARep in to brief you and your crew on exactly how the CFAA Contract and order flow is established. The new Contract has some interesting new twists that need to be understood. In doing so, it will help you be the leader your team needs.

2 Likes

Ok thx. After 30 years I feel that I should have a better handle on the system. I know it changes often but when I get back I think I will do as you suggest and pull the OES Arep and put on a class for all the company officers in inyo/mono so we are all on the same page. Thx for the info. enroute to whale fire.

5 Likes

You bet. Happy to help. Stay safe out there.

1 Like